Making up a nucleus.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
A nucleus colony is a “baby” unit which can be used for many situations.

Banking a queen to conserve her egg laying for breeding reasons.

Parking a queen to use elsewhere.

Queen mating.

Making increase.

Producing a couple of queens in a swarming situation to ensure at least one good mating.

No doubt there are other uses but I think these are the main ones.

How do I make up a nuc?

I hate to say this but it all starts with find the queen, or at least knowing where she is. In a single brood box you really do have to find her, in a double inserting a queen excluder four days prior to the event will let you know (by presence or absence of eggs) in which box she is and provided you are not intending hammering the one colony then a couple of nucs can be taken off from the one brood box.

Having found the queen, I take a good solid frame of sealed brood with a good queen cell. As you will likely have noticed those frames tend not to have too many bees on them so... I spray (more later) perfumed water on another couple of combs or even more if needed to ensure there are enough bees in the nuc and shake them in. I usually put in three frames of bees to the one of brood. Plus a frame of foundation, one of stores, and dummy with a frame feeder.

I stuff the entrance with grass and they are left like that pretty much sealed if for three days. By the end of that time the grass will have wilted and the bees will be beginning to fly freely. I am just using the one out apiary these days so all my nucs remain on the site where they have been created. If you are in the happy situation of having a 2nd or even 3d location then it is that much easier, shut them in and move them the requisite three miles.

The perfumed spray. I use a pressurised Hozelok sprayer with a mix of water and perfume, the stuff the wife has taken against is the best, not her best please.... I find it very useful to have to hand as if I end up having to mix frames from different hives the perfume masks the individual scents and enables a peaceful co-mingling.

I give them a check in a few more days to ensure the cell is ok, then leave them to it for a good three weeks to allow the virgin time to emerge, fly, mate and come into lay.

A couple of nuc boxes are a very good investment for any beekeeper to make, whether home made or a bought in deluxe model they add considerable to your beekeeping abilities from the sheer flexibility they offer.

PH

Once again a good article :) .

An old beek last year told me that he used essence of thyme instead of the perfume.

Watched him use it and was impressed at how he took frames from different hives and they just merged as if they all knew each other.

How much perfume do you use in what volume of water.

Thanks good write up.

Question.

Do you wait to take a nuc only when you see queen cells are being made. Or can a nuc be made and let the old hive start to requeen?

Yes indeed.

Pop the old queen into a nuc and let the parent produce cells. I would make another nuc with a cell so as to have belt and braces cover for a successful mating.

PH

Thanks!

This is my indened route this year. I just got a 6 frame nuc last week as a starter. I dont want any honey this year i want to split my hive so i can go into next year with 2 or maybe 3 over wintered nucs.

Nice one thanks again

Thanks PH,
lots of concentrated knowledge there !
Just startling to realise just how important a "spare" queen is.
S

Making up a nucleus

Hi Poly Hive, thanks for the post, just wondering in what order do you put the various frames in the nuke.Cheers Ainsie

What order do I put the frames in?

As they are from different colonies often enough there is no order as such.

From a point of view of frames in the nuc it is from the wall, brood stores foundation and feeder. Remember I am using poly nucs so in timber it would be wall stores foundation feeder. I use frame feeders as dummys effectively.

Frames of brood left in the primary colonies, LOL as many as possible. I cannot be more specific than than though in a single Nat 7-8 would be the least.

PH

Thanks Poly Hive, sorry for the unclear question but yes I did mean arrangement of frames in the nucleus, in my case wooden ones.Cheers Ainsie.

Latest posts

Back