Making Soft Set Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very interesting. the voice over reminded me alot of some public information films from the past - not you in another life ??!!

regards

S

You woudn't think I was born and brought up in Carlisle - all trace of local accent gone after 30 years of moving around the country.

What my dreadful voiceover does show is how difficult it is to do. I can understand now why actors get paid a lot of money to do voiceovers. I wonder if I could persuade someone well known to do the next one? Would two jars of honey be enough? Rick Mayall lives locally, he would be ideal. Add a bit of Blackadder to the video.

"Kremig Honig" !
Who is the member who says "they bombed our chip shop" ?

"Kremig Honig" !
Who is the member who says "they bombed our chip shop" ?

Lol yea I remember that chip shop comment.

Hi

Very good..........................

Regards Ian

creamed honey

Any mention of 'cream' and one may be 'bombed' by the Trades Description Act. No cream anywhere to be seen, used, or involved, so must be 'soft-set'. Jobsworth, petty PC, etc but necessary because of the potential litigation from disgruntled 'cream' eaters, suppliers and makers.

Regards, RAB

Indeed Oliver.

My honey was described as "Scottish Blossom Honey" with no mention on the label of soft set or creamed.

My verbal spiel to my public purchasers mentioned "creamed honey"

A different matter.

I told Trading Standards this and they were more than happy.

PH

Great video RT. Seeing it always helps...

creamed honey

Any mention of 'cream' and one may be 'bombed' by the Trades Description Act. No cream anywhere to be seen, used, or involved, so must be 'soft-set'. Jobsworth, petty PC, etc but necessary because of the potential litigation from disgruntled 'cream' eaters, suppliers and makers.

Regards, RAB

Can anyone cite the clause, or a case where this was pursued?

Many thanks Rooftops, hope this is the first of many, keep up the good work.Ainsie

That's great! A query answered very well.

However, what already 'creamed' honey would you use to convert a fresh haul? I'm not keen on adding a bought jar for this purpose, but if it works... Any other ways?

I suggest you watch the video again as that very issue was clearly mentioned.

PH

I get the grinding of crystalised honey, how long would it take for honey to crystalise to do this?

Beekeeping is a new venture for me so I have no existing honey or experience in the honey collection field. It's facinated me how you get creamed honey and as I prefer it that way I'm keen to learn.

Lots to learn this year! :)

Its not creamed :)

rooftops, how long did that batch take to full go to softset?

That's great! A query answered very well.

However, what already 'creamed' honey would you use to convert a fresh haul? I'm not keen on adding a bought jar for this purpose, but if it works... Any other ways?

There is another way that involved agitation at regular intervals without using a seed, small crystals start and they you mix for a period before they get too big, then more small crystals start to form and so on - roughly. Pretty sure there are machines to create soft set on this basis.

BlipiBee,

Never mix bought honey with anything that might ever get back to your bees. It may contain pathogens which are not neutralised by pasteurisation. No problem to human health, but could be deadly for the bees. AFB spores come to mind.

One normally soft-sets something like Oil Seed Rape (OSR) honey, which will set hard if not controlled. OSR honey also sets so quickly that some cannot get it off the hive and extracted before crystallistion has taken place!

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back