Making Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went into local bakery and they say they can sell me fondant at £1.50 per kilo.

I made 2 batches. The first was Ok apart from a thin layer on the top of thick liquid syrup. When I poured this away, I was left with fondant underneath I think.
The second batch didnt set, so I boiled it again and then it set like granite.
Father Xmas is bringing me a Jam thermometer, so I can be a bit more precise next time. If I cant get it right using a thermometer, I'll give up.

Dishmop - The larger stores of Tesco and Asda sell Glucose in the home baking sections.

£18.60?

I paid £10.62 collected.

There's the diff (and the rip off), you collected, I quoted a delivered price from the north west to the north east, perhaps some form of lancashire to yorkshire export tax has been added? Unfortunately no local sources and collect does not make sense over that distance!

The larger stores of Tesco and Asda sell Glucose in the home baking sections.

Just my luck. Sainsbury is closest and wife works there but they havent got any....

Liquid glucose from the baking section will cost you dear. £139 for 150mg

Instead go to the pharmacy dept and ask. I asked at my Sainsbury's and the fella said that their supplier had stopped doing it so they don't sell it any more.

The local chemist's shop had boxes of powdered glucose at 450mg for £1.49, a much better deal. I cheat and only use 150mg with each kilo of sugar, instead of the recommended 200mg

My experience. 150ml water, too hard, 300ml water too wet, 200ml - 250ml is the sweet spot.

Most home brew places do powdered Glucose one kilo for £2

Can't see anyone ever buying it at that price,mega money.

Just my luck. Sainsbury is closest and wife works there but they havent got any....

My local Sainsbury's stocks it. Not that that is much use to you, mind.

Thanks Admin,

I'll bear that in mind for next time.

Can't see anyone ever buying it at that price,mega money.
Yeh,,

put it on ebay and somebody will...

Latest posts

Back