Maisemore bee nucs just so angry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiamAiden

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Im considering finally giving up on these bees. I have given them so many chances and I keep giving excuses in my head as to why they are so bad tempered. I always handle them with great care. I had originally had some problems from the start as the nuc came with swarm cells and I struggled to get this instinct out of them, I sorted this problem. These bees are still a nightmare to handle, not always as bad but they are extremely fussy, little overcast, saw a wasp, taking off queen excluder (gentle as possible) and I can have anywhere from 12 to 400 bees on a bad day in my face. I feel totally conned by being sold these bees and maisemore never reply.

If I am to re-queen and I think I have found some good queens in exmoor, then is there any extra precautions I should take with a colony that is extra defensive/aggressive to avoid the queen being killed as they are rather expensive.
Thanks

Im considering finally giving up on these bees. I have given them so many chances and I keep giving excuses in my head as to why they are so bad tempered. I always handle them with great care. I had originally had some problems from the start as the nuc came with swarm cells and I struggled to get this instinct out of them, I sorted this problem. These bees are still a nightmare to handle, not always as bad but they are extremely fussy, little overcast, saw a wasp, taking off queen excluder (gentle as possible) and I can have anywhere from 12 to 400 bees on a bad day in my face. I feel totally conned by being sold these bees and maisemore never reply.

If I am to re-queen and I think I have found some good queens in exmoor, then is there any extra precautions I should take with a colony that is extra defensive/aggressive to avoid the queen being killed as they are rather expensive.
Thanks

It sounds to me like you may need to re-queen with a gentler strain of queen than you have ended up with, I assume you still have the original green queen that is causing the problem. Even the best breeders can get rogue queens if they are open mated. Exmoor bees are very good and gentle stock you won't go far wrong if you are intent on having Buckfasts - but - 2nd and 3rd generation open mated Buckfast queens can be problematic.

Re-queening agressive colonies can lead to the new queen not being accepted. It would be safer to make up a nuc, introduce a new queen into that and then, subsequently, despatch the queen with the agreesive traits and do a newspaper combine with the nuc.

Thanks, that sounds like a great plan! And yes, I still have the green marked queen. Appreciate the advice!

Last edited:
Yes, I will try again but because of my work, email suits me better as they are closed by the time I’m home. They also sent me an entire hive full of drone foundation and as a beginner I did not realise this. I ended up with a split that had 6 drone foundation drawn out and 4 drawn out drone foundation in a hive. I’m now stuck with 20 super frames that are all drone size cells aswell. I’m yet to receive a single reply.

Last edited:
I don't think drone size cells in the supers is a problem as the larger cells allow the bees to store more honey in less wax. Some people actually use drone foundation for this purpose. You will want to make sure the queen doesn't get into the supers though.

Problem is they won’t cap it �� and I noticed they capped the worker size.

I don't think drone size cells in the supers is a problem as the larger cells allow the bees to store more honey in less wax. Some people actually use drone foundation for this purpose. You will want to make sure the queen doesn't get into the supers though.

It's not a problem really .. if she does lay in the supers they will re-use the cells once the brood has emerged. I don't use queen excluders .. never had brood in the supers when I come to extract.

Problem is they won’t cap it �� and I noticed they capped the worker size.

This is usual; my interpretation is that they retain empty drone cells until late in the season in case they're needed to resolve a need to mate a queen.

Drone super comb will do you fine. Better option to resolve the queen issue is to email Mmore, but stick to the facts, avoid emotive wording and give them a chance to resolve the problem. No supplier is immune from occasional variation in supplying livestock, and the season has been unusually hectic due to C19: reduced staffing, greater strain on logistics leading to understandable errors.

I've had efficient service from Mmore and they're good people to do business with.

:iagree:
You’re better following the email up with a phone call notwithstanding the constraints of work the OP mentions.

Thanks
At what time of the day are you doing you're inspections?

This can also be a factor as to why you have aggressive bees.

It's easy to blame the supplier but it is not always their fault.

Last edited:
Liam, I too have had a feisty colony and it is miserable. As a newbie it’s really important to enjoy the beekeeping and not dread it. I had to psyche myself up to inspect. Get on to Maisies and get it sorted because no supplier would knowingly sell you pingy bees, and will definitely want the opportunity to put things right for you. Good luck and don’t give up!

Latest posts

Back