Made a mistake!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyJThompson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone on the 2nd of July I collected 2 swarms from abandoned hives at Horncastle, I posted about them before I picked up maybe pros cam remember. Well as at the mo they ok covering about 4 frames and look healthy. I went out to them yesterday and first colony going great their are now capped brood, stores and eggs and I saw the queen closed up and went on to the second. Same story apart from I hadn't pushed together two frames in the center of the brood and they have built a complete frame of brace comb, with bees walking between it and the actual frame, which was full eggs. Didn't see the queen but feel sure she will was inbetween the brace comb and frame. Should I take the brace comb out seems a shame to destroy all the eggs when I want the to build up. Also seems as they were happy to build all that comb in a space in the brood if I was to split the brood in the first hive and put in fresh foundation would they draw it out with the same enthusiasm.

Let the eggs hatch but as the hive builds up arrange for the disaster frames to be at one side of the brood box. This will put them next to the wood in the coldest bit and they will be used for honey storage with the brood nest being central. When there is no brood in them you can take them out and cut them up at your leisure.

Needless to say in practice the queen will lay there just to muck you about:)

Steve

Latest posts

Back