Low cost Beehives from China

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They turn black with mildew during the first winter.

One good picture does not make any difference.. the Chinese mass produce from poor quality materials .. i have bought from them and never again.. (not bee keeping equipment by the way)..

There have been many Chinese hives imported in the past. You MUST give a completely watertight spec.

The ones before looked fine when they arrived but the wood was probably not fully seasoned and they shrunk and warped, and in the end you could almost say no two alike. Even too short to get the frames in without trimming the lugs, and then the boxes did not sit true on eachother and bees leaked out at the joins.

Frames have generally been fine though prone to rot.

Taking waxed frames is a complete no no unless you specify the absence of a wide range of potential contaminants from the wax, and are prepared to pay for rather expensive post delivery analysis to be sure. Knew one person whose first job was to rewax all the frames, and in doing so found the wires were very stretchy so also needed to rewire most of them. In the end would have been cheaper from a reputable EU supplier (it was BS stuff, so range of suppliers is limited).

the Chinese mass produce from poor quality materials .. i have bought from them and never again.. (not bee keeping equipment by the way)..

I agree.
I bought a cheap chinese airline with some tools for my compressor. They were junk and I had to buy a new airline within a week.

I bought a cheap Chinese thermometer, seemed absolutely fine! bit surprised to find the temperature in Northamptonshire was hotter than Barbados though ;)

I purchased a drill made in China. When I tried to drill a hole it caught fire. They forgot to put on the box "Single use only".

The spacing points on the hoffmans are the wrong way around which isn't a problem if you use a complete set in a box but if you use them with british spec you will get two pointy bits of the spacing together, and the bottom bars need taking down as they will split the side bars if they are forced home. Better option is to buy British seconds.

I bought frames off F.P.once and they cut the side bar Hoffman cuts the wrong way round

For those that disparage Chinese goods, I have started flying rc helicopters. They have virtually cornered the world market in cheap high precision plastic mouldings and small electrical appliances (think pcbs and servos).

Quality variable but so cheap you can buy three and use two for spares (well nearly-) I buy only one and complain..and get free replacements.

In all seriousness, the better makers are very good . Clones so far but lots of design engineers so soon new models.

The bad ones are awful though.

Latest posts

Back