lost colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beepig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Sadly my remaining 0ut colony has died. A swarm caught last summer. that makes four lost from this site.enough is enugh.vshsll concentrate on remaining home colony..which sre very strong and on brood and half

shame though

We feel your pain!
Lost 3 this year, nothing more than poorly mated queens, but very frustrating to watch them dwindle away to nothing.

Thats a real bummer.
Wish you all the best for the home bees.....and for you getting better
I'm looking into a suspect colony tomorrow.

Given the weather last year, and this so called Spring it is not to be unexpected.

Some years the unexperienced gloat their bees came through, and some years the death rates are horrendous. Instance... BF in NE Scotland lost over 90% of his stocks. The losses that year in Scotland were disasterous.

Give your self a shake, pick up and move on. Find a better site, and better yet sit down and ponder why that site failed: as to start off it seemed good or you would not have used it aye?

Pick ITLD's brains on over wintering, he is probably the biggest asset the site has!

PH

PH, I follow all your posts, I know you have ceased bee keeping but your post are so informative and are never personal. Please continue, we need you on this forum.

Beepig!

Oh noooo!

Where abouts in North Soms are you? I was feelig safe in the 'knowledge' that you were probably in Dundee or something. But nope. Same area as my hives! I've been away for 2 weeks and away for another week and worried I maybe didn't feed them up enough before I left!

When did you last see your girls happily flying?

My folks saw mine busy last week but...??

Brin on nexr weekend!

sorry to hear this.

I think its going to be a bad winter for losses

sorry to hear this.

I think its going to be a bad winter for losses

Not sure what you have based that on ? At the convention today the beekeepers I spoke to were looking at less than 10% and some with lots of hives had not lost any at all yet ...

There may be heavier losses among new(ish) beekeepers as it has been a very mild winter in some parts and uninsulated colonies may have eaten more of their stores than those in well insulated hives - so careful monitoring of stores in the next few weeks may be necessary.

Disease ? Poorly mated late season queens ?

I have lost 3 colonies...so far...I'm hoping the others will be ok but still some weeks to get through until enough new bees to be sure. They were all alive until end of January....although I don't know how many bees.
All 3 colonies were in polys hives. One on double brood and had been a very strong hive all summer....the queen was 3 years old. The other 2 were new colonies....on 4-5 ...12x14 frames during the summer. One had a tiny patch of brood on one frame All the bees were dead...no live ones. All fed thymolated syrup. No poo to be seen. All treated with vaping OA in the autumn and again at Xmas. Drops were very low to almost zero. All had lots of stores...some were open but mainly full frames of capped stores. So sign of starvation. Very few bees on the comb....mainly on the floor of the hive. None with tongues out. Not that many bees on the floors of any of them. So I'm thinking poorly mated queens...which didn't lay enough winter bees and slowly dwindled. We found the queens in 2 of the hives but not in the 3rd.
Still...on the up side...that is the last of the feisty bees!

Last edited:
Not sure what you have based that on ? At the convention today the beekeepers I spoke to were looking at less than 10% and some with lots of hives had not lost any at all yet ...

There may be heavier losses among new(ish) beekeepers as it has been a very mild winter in some parts and uninsulated colonies may have eaten more of their stores than those in well insulated hives - so careful monitoring of stores in the next few weeks may be necessary.

Disease ? Poorly mated late season queens ?

Well we know how truth full lots of beekeepers can be. amazing how some have never ever lost a swarm in all their beekeeping times.

Well we know how truth full lots of beekeepers can be. amazing how some have never ever lost a swarm in all their beekeeping times.

Oh yes ... I know a few like that - completely demoralises those of us who live in the real world - until they get caught out and then we can have a laugh !

I used to get quite seriously miffed to see a swarm of my beautiful black Cornish Amm bees disappearing over the horizon to be caught by some lucky keeper far away!

Now I know that it will be my bees spreading their genes into the pool and possibly eliminating and diluting some of the introgressors foreign genes, I don't mind so much!

Most of my queens get clipped... the escapees have the Houdini gene and are mistresses of the art of hiding.. so beware!

To the OP.. try to get into winter with well provisioned strong colonies, do not be afraid to merge colonies.. culling the weaker queen... as Churchill said " expect some casualties"!!

Yeghes da

Oh yes ... I know a few like that - completely demoralises those of us who live in the real world - until they get caught out and then we can have a laugh !

I would never laugh at another's misfortunes.. a quiet smirk maybee!!!

Yeghes da

I would never laugh at another's misfortunes.. a quiet smirk maybee!!!

Yeghes da

Yeh .. I had a quiet giggle last year when I was at an apiary meet and the beekeeper, whose hives they were, was collecting a swarm from one of his hives that was hanging in a bush in the apiary - it was there when we arrived - he was doing a good job of it as well and laughing that he had left it too long between inspections.

One of the other beekeepers was telling us (very piously) how, to avoid swarming, he always Demareed all his colonies so there was NO chance of his losing any ... later on as we were having a cup of tea and a chat his phone rang and it was his wife to say that his bees were swarming and were hanging off his garden fence ! I've never see so much false collective sympathy and people biting their lips and spluttering their tea !! Unfortunately, he blurted out to his wife 'they've swarmed ?' and the cat was out of the bag ..

Yeh .. I had a quiet giggle last year when I was at an apiary meet and the beekeeper, whose hives they were, was collecting a swarm from one of his hives that was hanging in a bush in the apiary - it was there when we arrived - he was doing a good job of it as well and laughing that he had left it too long between inspections.

One of the other beekeepers was telling us (very piously) how, to avoid swarming, he always Demareed all his colonies so there was NO chance of his losing any ... later on as we were having a cup of tea and a chat his phone rang and it was his wife to say that his bees were swarming and were hanging off his garden fence ! I've never see so much false collective sympathy and people biting their lips and spluttering their tea !! Unfortunately, he blurted out to his wife 'they've swarmed ?' and the cat was out of the bag ..

Priceless! :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

Checked this morning lost both my hives, plenty of stores fed candy as a precaution around new year suspect disease, many dead bees in hives candy hardly used??I have contacted bee inspecter to come and check for something more seriuos ie afb or efb. Devastated to see such losses

Checked this morning lost both my hives, plenty of stores fed candy as a precaution around new year suspect disease, many dead bees in hives candy hardly used??I have contacted bee inspecter to come and check for something more seriuos ie afb or efb. Devastated to see such losses

Sorry for your loss... devastating..

Latest posts

Back