lost colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just discovered that both of my colonies have died- feeling devastated as newbie losing everything in my first year (and what a year it was…). Now got to start all over again.

One of them was weak and I expected it but the other was a strong colony and were flying just a few weeks ago. Loads of food stores, so I'm baffled really.

I think its going to be a bad winter for losses
From local reports I think I agree with you. Some have lost all colonies, some 75% and higher.
... a strong colony and were flying just a few weeks ago. Loads of food stores, so I'm baffled really.
That's the story we're getting too. Strong colonies with plenty of stores, suddenly dead in the last fortnight. No bees on the comb, little or no brood.

Poor mating or queenless, so winter bees haven't been replaced, and/or nosema cerana are possible causes?

That's the story we're getting too. Strong colonies with plenty of stores, suddenly dead in the last fortnight. No bees on the comb, little or no brood.

Poor mating or queenless, so winter bees haven't been replaced, and/or nosema cerana are possible causes?

One here too.
A hundred or so dead bees on floor...
Two hundred....ish bees including a lively queen in one corner.
They are now in a two frame poly nuc. Waste of time I guess but couldn't kill them.
I'll do a "Quick Squash" on a few later on.

Did you re queen the swarm after capture?Most swarms have a old queen and they play out .I lost one in that manner also as I failed to re queen the hive.

I've just had a proper look and I think one of them was probably nosema. The other colony had honey in the supers and on the brood frames, plus fondant. No sign of any brood at all and so I am guessing it was a queen problem. A scattering of a few hundred bees on the floor of the hive… I had a hell of a first summer with swarms, recaptured swarms, DLQ- the whole gamut.

I have burned a load of frames from the diseased hive and given the brood box a clean. Should I be doing anything else?

One here too.
A hundred or so dead bees on floor...
Two hundred....ish bees including a lively queen in one corner.
They are now in a two frame poly nuc. Waste of time I guess but couldn't kill them.
I'll do a "Quick Squash" on a few later on.

Loads of Cerenae.
Oh well, I'll be out with the soapy water tomorrow.

just so yu all know i had a brain haemerage last year. they had tonnes of stores left.,ii think nosema..,., i

FWIW I gave up trying to graft last year as they point blank refused to accept the grafts. Given that attitude I strongly suspect that many queens if they were successfully reared then had to cope with the deluge to be mated.

No real surprises then that the payment is falling due.

PH

Back