Long hives in Hungary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the brushes are softer than I imagine them to be CB.

The brushes are very soft and are there to remove the bees from the frames before the are taken away to be uncapped and the honey extracted in the tent.

the rotating brushes machine is either placed above the Hive from which the frame and bees came or has a box underneath in which the bees are caught and then can be returned to their Hive, the frame is then dipped in between the two rotating brushes.

In Hungary bee keeping is very widespread and it is not uncommon for bee keepers to have over a hundred hives, many people keep bees as their main job, the brushes are just one method of speeding up the process of retrieving the honey.

There are similar machines for uncapping but these for the reasons mentioned earlier would be used well away from the hive in the honey tent.

What I undestood from pictures in summer, they do not use supers.
Greetings,
They call this type of hive Nagy Boczonádi NB.
Nagy Boczonádi Szabó Imre is the name of the inventor of this hive.
He was a Hungarian man and an excellent beekeeper and reared queens too.

I now this because I am a Hungarian too who lives in Milton Keynes.

If you have any question about it, please ask.

KR
bertalan

KorvinST - welcome, great to get information with a beekeeper from another part of Europe. Can you put up a thread and tell us about your beekeeping year/bees/equipment etc please.

How very refreshing, a posting about bees and their hives. Good pictures and context & generally well received. More please??

How very refreshing, a posting about bees and their hives. Good pictures and context & generally well received. More please??

hear hear

Thank you Finman and KorvinST

KorvinST - welcome, great to get information with a beekeeper from another part of Europe. Can you put up a thread and tell us about your beekeeping year/bees/equipment etc please.

Thanks Finman and thanks and to Korvin, polanykid and bertalan for the explanations :welcome:

Latest posts

Back