Local adaption

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's hope for even a glimour of normality next season.

I wanted to post this short video taken at the end of May this year, we were hoping to Demarree this colony but found cups with eggs and some in very early stages of being charged so the plan changed. They were a big colony on brood and a half plus four supers so you can see the half, minus queen and frame, the brood minus frames for a nuc and four stacked supers. As you can see, the bees are very well behaved despite all the disruption. The smoker (always light your smoker) is on the floor and wasn't used. Hopefully the three queens raised from this colony will be the same.

Thanks to Dani for helping (doing it all) as I am a dinosaur....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qikri9sjpzzp308/Steve’s bees (1).mov?dl=0

How do you get on with the BS 3 frame per side nucs?
I have found that the 2mm Correx divider is a tad too flimsy ... a stiffer plastic would be better provided that the top ears do not snap... may make up an aluminum sheet one to try.
In my Amm apiaries the smoker usually goes out... in the yellow be stripies it sometimes spits flames!!

Chons da

There is no map - the hive locations are confidential, there is a list of disease alert and every beekeeper registered on beebase gets alerted of any disease in their area and contacted if they fall in a contiguous zone
Thanks, I’ll stop looking.

and I always thought it was the drones choosing who to chase after and mate with (and sacrificing their lives in the process!).
That’s what I thought. I can’t quite understand how a virgin queen gets to choose. I always thought it was the fastest and fittest that got to catch her.

I suppose it is possible that "drones of a feather flock together". So Amm drones might congregate in a different place from others?

That’s what I thought. I can’t quite understand how a virgin queen gets to choose. I always thought it was the fastest and fittest that got to catch her.
She has to allow the winning drones to copulate with her, that sort of mid air union takes coordination and teamwork.
Other factors in drone choice are the time of day and the conditions during the mating flight, location in 3d and the speed at which she flies.

She has to allow the winning drones to copulate with her, that sort of mid air union takes coordination and teamwork.
Other factors in drone choice are the time of day and the conditions during the mating flight, location in 3d and the speed at which she flies.
Not to forget the phase of the Moon and direction of Leylines

Do drones leave a trail of pheromones? so drones from the same hive can follow.
Or does each drone from the same hive go his separate way.
I've looked in numerous places for drone congregations, followed drones in the direction they have flown but I've never seen one.
When I've watched them they have always headed in the direction of big trees.

Thanks for the link.
I’m not a statistician but I have a grasp of what the researchers were doing
Does this mean that if Amm queens preferentially mate with Amm drones providing there are some in the vicinity worrying about your neighbour’s yellow bees is misplaced?
At that time it was the only colony I had, so any drones from that hive would have meant in-breeding. Nearest neighbour had buck fasts & no other beekeepers at that time within a 4 mile radius, so resulted in hybrid cross. Hence why I've set up out-apiaries now in better locations for mating, with more locally adapted bees nearby.

Do drones leave a trail of pheromones? so drones from the same hive can follow.
Or does each drone from the same hive go his separate way.
I've looked in numerous places for drone congregations, followed drones in the direction they have flown but I've never seen one.
When I've watched them they have always headed in the direction of big trees.
Drones secrete pheromones from their mandibular glands, which attracts other drones to DCA's. Virgin queens have relatively high levels of the pheromone 9-HDA, which works at short range in attracting drones along with tarsal pheromone. The other pheromone at play is 9-ODA which acts as an attractant to drones from longer distances.

Pre Covid, I would agree with your sentiments, Hachi. Rearing queens and creating nucs, with members prepared to help out by bringing on a nuc or two with their own bees to provide bees for beginners. Unfortunately, people tend to be less generous with either time or bees and beginners get left to their own devices.
I've helped out a quite few beekeepers in the past, I like to think it's part of the craft. We can all make increase, it's all about spreading the love, rather than pinch a queen and unite to consolidate numbers, give her to a friend.

I help out when asked and when association members have nasty hives I'm the one they call or as happened, been told a hive is so nasty they haven't been near it for over a year and when I offer to pop along and help its declined what the heck??? So I'm not immune to doing my bit but.... but it doesn't replace an organised and structured education programme for the newbies including QR.

How do you get on with the BS 3 frame per side nucs?
I have found that the 2mm Correx divider is a tad too flimsy ... a stiffer plastic would be better provided that the top ears do not snap... may make up an aluminum sheet one to try.
In my Amm apiaries the smoker usually goes out... in the yellow be stripies it sometimes spits flames!!

Chons da
That was my friend's apiary, I haven't used them myself but he found the same. It can be quite a squeeze so it needs to be more rigid.
He has been getting excellent results at this apiary so next year we will have a few of those dotted around.
We have eight colonies scoring excellent, from temperament which is always reliable with calm, gentle bees to good brood patterns and foraging ability both pollen and nectar and general colony vitality. The majority are very good or good, with a couple rating OK. Even these are ones that make a noise and object rather than pile out, stinging. I've not been stung this season so none of them are horrid. Top scorers rear queens while the others are honey production/brood donors.

I help out when asked and when association members have nasty hives I'm the one they call or as happened, been told a hive is so nasty they haven't been near it for over a year and when I offer to pop along and help its declined what the heck??? So I'm not immune to doing my bit but.... but it doesn't replace an organised and structured education programme for the newbies including QR.
Please don't think I was suggesting otherwise. I can understand your frustration too, sometimes you feel like pulling your hair out.

Please don't think I was suggesting otherwise. I can understand your frustration too, sometimes you feel like pulling your hair out.

Never came into my mind Steve :)

Drones secrete pheromones from their mandibular glands, which attracts other drones to DCA's. Virgin queens have relatively high levels of the pheromone 9-HDA, which works at short range in attracting drones along with tarsal pheromone. The other pheromone at play is 9-ODA which acts as an attractant to drones from longer distances.
Thanks for that I'll be looking the above up, I'm sure I've read something in one of my books, any preference to DCA sites? have you observed?

Decided on three definite colonies for rearing next year, possibly another one but will need to re assess them first. My friend has possibly more (depending on the daughters from that video)
These colonies show uniformity in type and their temperament has proven to be exceptional. Very quiet bees.

Attachments

• native nuc.jpg
    native nuc.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Welsh Native 02.jpg
    Welsh Native 02.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 28
  • native 02.jpg
    native 02.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 28
  • full frame.jpg
    full frame.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 26
I think it would be helpful when making statements like this to identify the source. Presumable this comes from a scientific study, rather than a chat in the pub ;). So perhaps elainemary (and anyone else making statements like this) you can provide us with the source in a format something like this "according to xxx et al, in their study published in the journal xxx on xxx".

So perhaps elainemary (and anyone else making statements like this) you can provide us with the source in a format something like this "according to xxx et al, in their study published in the journal xxx on xxx".
Or maybe not - depends on how you feel and how much useless information an individual's mind can hold

Thanks for that I'll be looking the above up, I'm sure I've read something in one of my books, any preference to DCA sites? have you observed?
I think it would be helpful when making statements like this to identify the source. Presumable this comes from a scientific study, rather than a chat in the pub ;). So perhaps elainemary (and anyone else making statements like this) you can provide us with the source in a format something like this "according to xxx et al, in their study published in the journal xxx on xxx".
Chemical communication in the honeybee society by Bortolloti & Costa. 2014.

Back