loads of pollen but no nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfitz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
to the experienced beekeepers out there, the last few times i checked my hives I noticed the bees seem to be mainly bringing in pollen, why is this I would of taught they be bringing in more nectar to store up for the winter?

Same here. Pollen needed to raise brood.. Winter bees need pollen..

Depends if they can find nectar! They may well be looking for it!

Balsam in flower - white legs seen arriving when inspected today- and they're busy on the lavender in garden.

A fair bit of pollen coming in here too.
Bees are at the pond as well so I suppose they are eating the honey.
Oh well......it'll be time to take it all off soon and treat.

A fair bit of pollen coming in here too.
Bees are at the pond as well so I suppose they are eating the honey.
Oh well......it'll be time to take it all off soon and treat.

Can I make a suggestion and I'm just thinking what might be going through your bees minds but, "Oh look it's sugar water again, laced with Hive Makers thymol recipe".
I ask you this, what female doesn't like a bit of channel.....:paparazzi:

The bees collect pollen most times of the year its available plenty of times when nectar is not. Some people may correct me but I think they need approx 35 kilograms each year. Bees collect plenty of nectar during the good months and if everything falls into place they amass a big reserve of honey for times of no nectar. What they don’t account for is the beekeeper skimming some off the top and often we get greedy and take to much leaving the bees thinking what the f... and the beekeeper having to feed feed feed. I have learned as a hobby beekeeper don’t take to much with a result of less stressed bees and me not having to run around feeding or fretting over the price of sugar.

... the last few times i checked my hives I noticed the bees seem to be mainly bringing in pollen, why is this I would of taught they be bringing in more nectar to store up for the winter?

Mine are the same. I reckon it's because they've got a lot of new brood to feed, because the queens have come back into lay after a break. On last inspection there was masses of uncapped brood, and whole frames of newly laid eggs - they need the protein.

I can't tell if the bees without pollen are bringing back nectar or water.

Mine are the same. I reckon it's because they've got a lot of new brood to feed, because the queens have come back into lay after a break. On last inspection there was masses of uncapped brood, and whole frames of newly laid eggs - they need the protein.

I can't tell if the bees without pollen are bringing back nectar or water.

See if you can check their water supply, mine take it from my turkey, chicken and pig toughs, hundreds of them...

Latest posts

Back