Loads of crystallised Rape, can you blend with himalayan balsam honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred scuttle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got quite a large amount of Rape honey in spring from a couple of my apairies, reading on the tinternet they talk about seeding with creamed honey but can I blend it with himalayan balsam honey from a later crop at my other sites or do I have seed it as recommended to get the smooth non setting like brick texture of creamed honey versus rock hard rape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Its' not clear what you intend to do Fred, just add balsam honey to set rape honey?
No matter it won't work.

At least 2 ways.
1. Fully liquefy your set OSR honey and add 10% volume of creamed/soft set honey....buy from supermarket if non! Oer make your onw, pestle and mortar/liquidizer.
Add to runny OSR, mix well, leave, mix a few more times. Bottle.

2. Buy a potato masher from Throens....big honey creamer. Semi liquify your rape honey and work it over with this implement, rest, work, rest, work for a few days and the result is usually a fine soft set.

The drill ones work, but in my hands introduce far too much air, resulting in a lot of froth.....even when running in reverse.

Thanks for the advice BF, I will try both methods and see which one is best. Cheers

I would suggest reading this forum for how to cream honey, there is a fair bit and at the moment being blunt you are a paid up member of confused.com.

The info is on here though.

PH

It is also a sticky on the forum.

That sticky (in the Honey section) must be the most confusing and contradictory sticky on the forum - but exemplifies the dictum 'ask three beekeepers their opinion and you'll get half a dozen different answers'.
The arguments rage: is OSR honey made up of large or small crystals? Do you need to seed or not?
My method this last two years: allow the OSR to crystallise in buckets. Then warm to 32-35C in a cabinet for about two days while stirring thoroughly with a creamer for a few minutes every few hours. When the honey is liquid enough to flow off the creamer decant into your settling tank and jar while still warm. The honey remains soft-set for a year or more.
Seems to work for me - no seed needed. I do wonder if other co-existant nectars e.g. dandelion, sycamore etc might alter the outcome.

Belt and braces for me. I let the osr set, then liquefy in warming cabinet, let it cool and add seed ( from last batch) , leave for 24 hours, then stir like mad a few times a day, for a few days. I use a home made stirrer, which is a stainless steel spaghetti ladle which I have hammered flat, driven by my cordless electric drill. Warm and then jar. Makes a lovely soft set, which remains the same for a good couple of years.

Latest posts

Back