Level of activity per time of the day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I tried doing morning visits to the apiary because it's a bit cooler and I don't melt in my suit, but it's also the time I've started to go and visit my niece. It's hard for me not to have them coincide.

So I inspect on a sunday afternoon at about 3pm and melt in the suit.

This got me wondering though: are bees likely to be more or less active depending on the time of day?
I mean, are they going to be more docile after a hard day's work if I go and visit them later in the afternoon or does it make no difference?
It would be nice to have them a bit more docile while I'm still getting experience in handling them properly.

Later afternoon visits would open for me also other days in the week, as well as slightly lower temperatures.
Talking of about 7pm with temperatures of about 28 degrees celsius, so the foragers are likely to be still out and about.

I regularly inspect in the evenings and have no issues. Sometimes most of the bees can be home but it's not a problem.

There has been studies done for activity and yes at some points they are most active. If i remember right they have a bit of a break at noon lol.
It's on Google.
Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I usually inspect between 11 and 18.00 depending on when I have time and depending on the temper of the hive. For the angry ones I wait until lunchtime when orientation flights are also taking place. I rather melt in the suit than dealing with a full angry hive!! This week I have done inspection between 6-7 on the evening due to warm weather and bees have been pretty calm.

Back