let them fight?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I want to unite my weakest hive (very small colony with this year’s queen, laying ok) with one of my other hives (last year’s queen who swarmed this year, fantastic layer). I read on Cushman’s website that it can be done with newspaper and just leave the two queens to sort themselves out. This would be easier as I am beginning to suspect that my queens are from a special hard to find strain apis mellifera ninja.

Do many people unite this way without culling a queen?

I did unintentionally, was convinced colony was q-, Italians so not really bothered. Reunited with a small colony from same hive with the original queen. (Had been in obs hive for show). The 'nonexistent' queen killed the original queen and went onto to become very chalk broody.

re AMMN - the tip i tried this week in readiness for re-queening was as advised on this forum - move hive 3+m away and replace with empty box. Flyers return to box leaving you with the less intent on flying house bees. worked a treat - tigers into pussycats. almost a shame to cull HM based on the behaviour of the box bound brigade.

re AMMN - the tip i tried this week in readiness for re-queening was as advised on this forum - move hive 3+m away and replace with empty box. Flyers return to box leaving you with the less intent on flying house bees. worked a treat - tigers into pussycats. almost a shame to cull HM based on the behaviour of the box bound brigade.

Nice trick!

I am coming round to the culling idea. I think I will put in a bit of effort to try and find the old HM and if I can't find her I will have to just risk injury.

Dr S,

Can you please give details. I need to mark the queen in the hive which I call "the beasts" ( intend to re queen). At this time of year they are worse than normal, so intend to do your trick.

How long before wanting to inspect do you set up the dummy hive?
Is it simply an empty BB, or do I put in frames ( foundation/drawn?) - I suppose it makes little difference, because as soon as I have marked HM, I just put the original BB back on original site?

Thanks

Dr Ex

i just used my no longer needed (although given this season?!) bait hive - an old smith hive with a few frames in.

moved the hive once suited but before setting smoker and going through other 5 hives.

after finished just moved old hive back and put bait hive on top facing backwards.

To further, handy for elusive queen, step suggested by RAB recently was, before the move put some brood frames without bees in an empty box above the main brood box but with a QE inbetween. This will further sift out nurse bees who will go and cover the brood. The original box can then be moved away and will shortly have few flyers or nurses in, but hopefully a queen.

So
Step A Original Brood Box, QE, New Brood box with a couple of frames of brood
Leave a while
Step B Move Old Brood box away a few yards, leaving new brood box in place
Leave a while
Step C Find queenie amongst hopefully not many bees

Think I got that right!

To further, handy for elusive queen, step suggested by RAB recently was, before the move put some brood frames without bees in an empty box above the main brood box but with a QE inbetween. This will further sift out nurse bees who will go and cover the brood. The original box can then be moved away and will shortly have few flyers or nurses in, but hopefully a queen.

So
Step A Original Brood Box, QE, New Brood box with a couple of frames of brood
Leave a while
Step B Move Old Brood box away a few yards, leaving new brood box in place
Leave a while
Step C Find queenie amongst hopefully not many bees

Think I got that right!

and....
Put queenie in a NUC with some brood + stores and leave on your new stance

On old stance where the flyers are returning to a now Q- new brood box, containing frames with some stores and brood and house bees ( will need to move some frames to the Q+ NUC with clinging bees... BUT NOT FROM Q+ to Q- !)
Then with QE removed and a couple of sheets of the Financial Times place your Q+ colony you wish to unite onto the BB.

Feed both hives
Grow on NUC with feisty queen to monitor their behaviour... requeen next season when there are lots of queens availiable

Just wondering if it is too late in the season to do this???????
comments please (sensible ones would be nice!)

Back