Drone laying and how to unite.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
Last week i became suspicious one of my hives (the Q)has started laying drone brood and today i found several frames with drone combe only and what few eggs i could see were singles so i asume she is a drone layer and need to sort this out. I am thinking of buying in a mated Q . so am i right in thinking i will have to find and kill the drone laying Queen first and if so what is my next move and timescale .I have never done a Q unite before so this is my first allempt. Thank You.

No worker brood at all just drone brood on 5 frames . Once she is destryed how soon can i introduce a new mated Queen. Thank you

Sorry to drag this out but as this is a first for me i am hoping it to go as smoothe as possible. So as i said previously no worker brood only drone and some eggs and quite a lot of uncapped honey. As this hive is DB and there are a good number of bees in it plus the Q is not marked and i have not got the best eyesight for spotting her i was thinking of shaking all the frames into an excluder to make sure i can find and remove her. Now if all goes well i should just be left with a Q- hive and several frames of just drone brood.So do i then fill the brood box with spare drawn frames and pollen some stores and omit the drone frames .Or add them to it. Hope this makes sense what i mean.I have a mated Q on order and she should arrive in 3 /4 days. Thank you.

Drones are really only a drain on a colonies resources. At this time of year the bees are thinking about ejecting them. You need to add a couple of frames of soon to emerge brood from another colony to this nuc you intend to introduce a new queen into. Bin the excess drone brood

So discard the existing frames of drone brood and eggs. Then make up the new brood box with fresh drawn frames and worker brood from my other hive.Thank you.

Just thought id post an update. Shook and checked all the frames through a QX from the Drone laying hive today .No sighn of the Q. So having read on here that she could be small and gone through the QX. I will have another try tomorrow ,but if im not able to find her im not sure what to do next as i have a mated Q delivered on tuesday and im not wanting to risk uniting. I have a nuc that is Q- but i was hoping to unite the new mated Q with this hive.I would welcome any sugestions you may have. Thank you

Latest posts

Back