left over 2-1 syrup. thin out and use in spring or keep?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi I have some 2-1 syrup leaft over from Autumn. I was wondering how long this would keep if kept cool. I thought about using it in spring (if required) by adding 30% by volume of water to bring it back to a 1-1 ratio but if not needed would it keep till next autumn

Thanks
Phill

Hi I have some 2-1 syrup leaft over from Autumn. I was wondering how long this would keep if kept cool. I thought about using it in spring (if required) by adding 30% by volume of water to bring it back to a 1-1 ratio but if not needed would it keep till next autumn

Thanks
Phill

How much is "some"... IMO there is no point in trying to keep a small amount till next autumn... Sugar is cheap, and not worth the risk of feeding syrup that could have been contaminated by yeasts.

Ben P

Someone previously said use it in homebrew...

I have about 10 litres in 1 litre containers in the freezer - thanks to a colony that refused to take thymolated syrup - It will be used next season on weak colonies, nucs etc. The problem colony is happily munching fondant, perhaps they have a thymol allergy:ohthedrama:

Latest posts

Back