Leaving on feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
I have a poly nuc from Paynes & bees are covering 6 frames , I was thinking of leaving the feeder on over winter to give them more insulation

(without syrup in)

Whats your thoughts good idea or not

Grub

fill it with bubble wrap.
and make a nice hat/jacket for the whole ensemble.

Attachments

• poly nuc lid.jpg
    poly nuc lid.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 35
thanks both makes sense , glad I asked

Grub

Mmmm I'll have to go and check but I'm sure the thickness of poly in the base of the feeder must be comparable to that of the roof; so leaving it on might be little problem.

I've just spent a couple of hours butchering a new Paynes Poly Nuc. I bought two ekes with it as I am on 14 x 12 so one eke is to give me the depth for the 14 x 12 frames - the second eke is going to go on top filled with insulation and the roof on top.

But .. I've cut out the integral feeder and used the bits to infil the 'slots' that are left and it will now take 7 frames and a dummy board.

I really prefer top bee space - so my cunning plan for the next stage is to put a ledge around the bottom of the the second eke on which a clear polycarbonate crown board will sit giving top bee space underneath it.

Photos when I've finished it - if you don't have a Paynes Poly Nuc then the above isn't going to make a lot of sense ... sorry !

I've just spent a couple of hours butchering a new Paynes Poly Nuc.
But .. I've cut out the integral feeder and used the bits to infil the 'slots' that are left and it will now take 7 frames and a dummy board.

I thought about butchering a couple of those nucs... and joining a bit from the side of one onto the other, this would then be able to take 11 frames and a dummy.

Glad you asked the question, I'll taking out the feeders at the end of this month. I was going to leave them in under the insulation.

I look forward to seeing your photos

Grub

Anyone know the exact external dimensions of a Payne's poly nuc with eke on please....save me travelling four miles to measure.....many thanks

Latest posts

Back