Leave with one queen or two?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
having had a second swarm leave my hive yesterday (because i left that 2nd cell) i know what i will do next time!! (or a Q/E above the floor) did manage to collect them though :)

If you know they are swarmy bees then only leave the best q cell.
E

If you had a hive that had been artificially swarmed and also swarmed twice would you leave two queen cells hatching at the same time to sort themselves out or would you take one queen out? :confused:

Sods law dictates that if you leave just one it will fail to hatch and leave you Q-. If you leave two, both will hatch and the first out will leave with a swarm. Hope that helps.

Sods law dictates

Does it really matter in many instances? If the A/S is done properly there will be few flying bees to go with her anyway. I suspect many of those that have lost a cast have not completed the A/S.

Agreed, if it happens to be close to neighours it can be a nuisance. I would not want bees that throw casts on a regular basis. Come to that, I dont want bees that swarm regularly twice or three times a year either.

RAB

Cough. Reality check please.

You are looking through your combs yes?

You find queen cells. Some are open and some are sealed.

This is where temptation sets in. "I can save time here"

So you leave two sealed cells. And trouble ensues...

I leave one OPEN cell. And the younger the better.

Why younger? It give the longer time lag for the colony to settle down....

PH

Latest posts

Back