Learning BeeKeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipi

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hey, I am from Bristol - Long Ashton and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me by giving me information about BeeKeeping. Iv Email the people here: www . bristolbeekeepers . org . uk/ To ask if they have any courses but have not got a reply yet.

I signed up here to see if anyone has any advice or tips for me to start out BeeKeeping? ^^

(Sorry for the broken link, I cant post them until I post 10 times :c)

Hi Zipi,iIf you can get to your library, they should be able to get:
Beekeeping for Dummies or,
Haynes Bee Manual.

Both are a good read but the dummies book will give you info on bears and raccoons etc (written for the Amercan market).

There is no substitute for a beginners course and a mentor. Just having one look around a hive a I was hooked.

Ok thank you :) I will try and visit my local libary soon. I will also try to find someone who is local and can talk to me about setting up a Bee Hive etc

Buy 'Guide to Bees & Honey', Ted Hooper

Also consider buying Clive De Bruyn 'Practical Beekeeping'

Join local Beekeepers association

Take a beekeeping introductory course as you suggest

Hi Zipi

Not sure what Bristol branch have to offer but the Blagdon and Clevedon branch (google North Somerset beekeepers) run an introduction to beekeeping course every year. Unfortunately you have just missed this year as it runs from Jan to Mar. At Long Ashton you are in an area where we have several members of this branch close to you.
Send me a private message if you want more info.

Last edited:
Hey, I am from Bristol - Long Ashton and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me by giving me information about BeeKeeping. Iv Email the people here: www . bristolbeekeepers . org . uk/ To ask if they have any courses but have not got a reply yet. I signed up here to see if anyone has any advice or tips for me to start out BeeKeeping? ^^
(Sorry for the broken link, I cant post them until I post 10 times :c)

I'm pretty certain the local BKA will let you pay them an initial introductory free visit during which you will have several people to talk to all with different views on everything beewise. From thaen on, if you are a sociable type of person, you may well be invited into the apiary of the BKA or a member for a looksee. From then on do as you fancy.

I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendations to join your local BKA and take the Introduction Course.

I First of all get yourself along to an apiary meeting first so you can experience beekeeping and make some useful contacts.

Further to previous two comments Clevedon and Blagdon have regular Sunday apiary sessions and you would be very welcome to come along to one to get a feel for beekeeping. See my previous post re contact.

Latest posts

Back