Learner Drivers to be alowed on the Motorways?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think cyclists should take cycling proficiency test before using the roads. It angers me when (some) cyclists jump red lights, use footpaths and generally endanger themselves as well as other people.

Indeed they should. I might turn a blind eye to children, but there are so many adults who ride on pavements, either because they are too lazy to follow the road around or because it is "safer". Well, it isn't safer for pedestrians if you're careering along at 10+ miles an hour.

So as a driver you should experience the road as a cyclist first?

So, should those other road users experience the road as a car driver. I think cyclists should take cycling proficiency test before using the roads. It angers me when (some) cyclists jump red lights, use footpaths and generally endanger themselves as well as other people.

When larning to drive a car you are taught how to treat other road users. A lot of people choose to drive as they wish, which isn't always as they should.

I ride a bike, I'm not sure how you'd enforce a proficiency test, jumping lights does annoy me, but, I notice many road users do it more often even in cars now.

I also note that many drivers don't treat cyclists as other road users rather things they need to get in front of asap.

So as a driver you should experience the road as a cyclist first?
Surely, most do, or did?

I ride a bike, I'm not sure how you'd enforce a proficiency test
No real need to as most older cyclists have a licence to drive a car.

However, there seems to be a large majority of cyclists who believe that once in the saddle they own the road?
I also note that many drivers don't treat cyclists as other road users rather things they need to get in front of asap.

The Highway code applies to cyclist too.
  • Do Not, ride when under the influence of drink. (but you see them pile out of the country pubs after 2 or 3 pints)!
  • Ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends. (Usually 3 a breast all chatting to one another)!
  • not ride close behind another vehicle (Including other Bikes)?
  • be aware of traffic coming up behind you. (The car driver stuck behind, unable to see past or overtake 3X wide bikes)?
What about the idiot who randown & killed a woman then berated her as she lay on the ground?

Last edited:
Surely, most do, or did?

However, there seems to be a large majority of cyclists who believe that once in the saddle they own the road?

• Do Not, ride when under the influence of drink. (but you see them pile out of the country pubs after 2 or 3 pints)!
  • Ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends. (Usually 3 a breast all chatting to one another)!
  • be aware of traffic coming up behind you. (The car driver stuck behind, unable to see past or overtake 3X wide bikes)?
What about the idiot who randown & killed a woman then berated her as she lay on the ground?

:icon_204-2:

I don't mind cyclists riding two abreast for visibility – in fact, it is handy on twisty roads –-but I do expect them to then split to help ease traffic.

Surely, most do, or did?

I don't mind cyclists riding two abreast for visibility – in fact, it is handy on twisty roads –-but I do expect them to then split to help ease traffic.

Don't mind them until they're doing over >25MPH in the middle of the road or in a group oblivious to other road users.

From head to toe or straight across the middle?

Makes them easier targets when two abreast, less chance of missing one of the lycra clad road menaces. They do not like it when you put the fear of god up them for their bad road manners. Whoever said a cars horn is not an effective weapon was totally wrong...applied at the right time it can cause lots of non lethal chaos :)

That's ridiculous - they say that if a car cuts up the convoy then the drivers will have to resume control. If they're not paying attention to the road continuously they'll be away with the fairies and it will take a good few seconds for them to get back in the correct mindset for driving.

This technology needs to be able to assume 100% control during motorway driving, or it will be dangerous.

That's ridiculous - they say that if a car cuts up the convoy then the drivers will have to resume control. If they're not paying attention to the road continuously they'll be away with the fairies and it will take a good few seconds for them to get back in the correct mindset for driving.

This technology needs to be able to assume 100% control during motorway driving, or it will be dangerous.

It isn't a production set up, it is the engineering team testing the technology. They aren't doing actual deliveries.

It's just a matter of time before we can remove human error from our roads.
This will create a safer place for humans to be and reducing traffic jams and deaths.
Before anyone says anything just remember what can control the take off and landing of a passenger airplane.

You bunch of luddites!!
There have been convoys of linked trucks filled with goods controlled by one driver moving around the country for years - they're called freight trains!!!

You bunch of luddites!!
There have been convoys of linked trucks filled with goods controlled by one driver moving around the country for years - they're called freight trains!!!

Yes but you do not get many drunken tits in BMWs weaving in and out on the railways!:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Yes but you do not get many drunken tits in BMWs weaving in and out on the railways!:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

They don't have to be drunk, it appears that just the ownership of either a BMW or Merc is enough to make then think they have the whole road to themselves & other road users are just obstacles. :ohthedrama:

But the probably believe the same trick/get-out negates the breath test as well!

Last edited:
Makes them easier targets when two abreast, less chance of missing one of the lycra clad road menaces. They do not like it when you put the fear of god up them for their bad road manners. Whoever said a cars horn is not an effective weapon was totally wrong...applied at the right time it can cause lots of non lethal chaos :)

Well, actually, Beefriendly, The Highway Code makes it quite plain:

Rule 112
The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn

– while stationary on the road
–-when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
–-except when another road user poses a danger.

Law CUR reg 99

From head to toe or straight across the middle?
Middle. Far less mess than if they split head to toe and they don't immediately fall off their bikes, JBM.

Better still is if they go into single file and then recouple. After all, they're entitled to filter traffic, why not reverse that logic to allow faster traffic to pass them more easily?

I don't want to make this a debate about lorry drivers, but, the recent incident not too far from here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-41070009) speaks volumes about the sort of driving I see all of the time on the M1. Most of the time, it is foreign lorry drivers who seem to think they're the only vehicle on the road and they can do what they like.
Maybe it is time we did away with the driver after all.

Maybe it is time we did away with the driver after all.

If they've made an operating system that doesn't need switching off and back on again then they can get it going on my computer first before letting it run on the roads.

Latest posts

Back