Leafcutter bee nest at work

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rohaq

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Not a beekeeper here, just looking for information.

I was taking a break at work outside, and I noticed a few bees fly by carrying pieces of leaves, land on the pavement outside the entrance to work, and crawl into the cracks.

A bit of Googling suggested that these were leafcutter bees, and that they were in the process of building a nest.

So I've gotta ask; if this nest is in the pavement, it's going to be right outside the main entrance to a building. I'm more worried that my workplace will remove or have it relocated and potentially damage it since it's in the middle of a walkway, or if the nest will be damaged by foot traffic. More to the point, I have no idea if the nest will pose any kind of nuisance to passers by, or if anyone risks being stung, which would probably cause someone to request our building facilities department to do something about it.

I know that it will only last for a season, but have no idea when they started nesting there, or how long it'll really last - I know that they're pollinators, but I don't know if they fall under any kind of protection in the UK, or if there's anyone we should call about it if we do need it moved.

Personally, I think bees are awesome, and I'd rather leave them to do their thing for the summer and then leave on their own accord, but any advice would be welcome!

No, they should be fine and shouldn't really cause a nuisance.

They are not a protected species.

I had some last season in a bird box in the garden, they were so aggressive chased me out of the garden and would sting everyone, hate killing bees but had to get rid of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The leafcutters are probably a Megachile species - likely to be cutting semicircles out of leaves. They like roses. Generally quiet and mind their own business. As they are 'solitary' there won't be a large nest, the female will put in provisions and a few eggs then leave it.

I doubt if these were what was in the bird box. More likely Bombus hypnorum - they like birdboxes and are quite defensive.

Latest posts

Back