Lavender smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lavender, manipulating cloths , anti macasars, glass crown boards .
Jeez, Get stuck in and familiarise yourselves with bees and the handling thereof :party:

VM

Small point from R4 programme this afternoon, someone was smoking bacon with lavender trimmings (dead bacon for consumption, not live piggies!) and commented that the aromatic oils in lavender smoke have antiseptic properties. Could help, I suppose?

I shred lavender prunings in a garden shredder, let them dry out and mix them with rotten ash wood, which I dry for a few weeks in the summer in the greenhouse. The resulting smoke has a pleasant aroma, reminiscent of holidays in hot places.

I mix pine needles, lavender , vanilla pods , fruit wood shavings , coffee grounds and a little herbal c.
Forget the bees! I light the smoker and forget (Couldn't care less) what I was supposed to be doing :coolgleamA: :iamwithstupid:
VM

Hi every one,

Was clearing the garden a few weeks back and bagging the cuttings, a few of the bags are cuttings from our lavender plants which we have a huge quantity. Today i was moving the bags to the bottom of the garden ready for burning and was thinking about using them for smoker fuel.

Has any one used lavender before, I am presuming they will give of a very natural scented smoke, but will it be ok for the bees.

Any advice greatfully received.

I use Lavender prunings roughly chopped, mixed up with cut up hessian sacking (free from the pet shop) and crunched up pine cones. Not that I use much smoke, but the bees don't seem to mind it, and it smells nice - unless there's too much sacking!

Latest posts

Back