LASI Blog - high acceptance in the direct introduction of queens with smoke but without cages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavily smoked colonies with the queen allowed to enter via the top bars is one thing, however, later in the blog they mention running her in via the entrance.....

Heavily smoked colonies with the queen allowed to enter via the top bars is one thing, however, later in the blog they mention running her in via the entrance.....

Not sure where your read that, are you sure you havent misunderstood?

Last edited:
Towards the end

That just suggests direct introduction through the entrance is easier than throigh the top. either directly or via a cage, not that they did it via the entrance for this project.

The whole idea was to test the acceptance ratio for a queen being introduced through the top.

I don't like the phrase 'high acceptance' how high is high? using a cage I'd expect more or less 100%

They do give some figures depending on how long the hive has been queenless.

One day after introduction the hive was inspected to determine if the queen was present (accepted). Acceptance was: 6 days queenlessness (100%), 5 days (100%), 4 days (92%), 3 days (92%), 2 days (85%), 1 day (31%).

That just suggests direct introduction through the entrance is easier than throigh the top. either directly or via a cage, not that they did it via the entrance for this project.

The whole idea was to test the acceptance ratio for a queen being introduced through the top.

Agreed but maddydog commented that

and from the text it does give the idea that is just as feasible even if they don't outright say it.

Agreed but maddydog commented that

and from the text it does give the idea that is just as feasible even if they don't outright say it.

So if they don't actually say it, they don't actually say it.

And you can hardly use a cage if you are going to introduce by walking in the entrance.

It's simply referring to another method, that's all and I bet if they hadn't, someone would say, 'what about walking them in the entrance then?! :hairpull:

Last edited:
Direct introduction of mated and virgin queens into queenless hives using ...

I'm not sure if the above will show as a link, but Sussex university did a pair on this done time ago. If I am ever lucky enough to own enough hives to try it, I'd love to.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Direct introduction of mated and virgin queens into queenless hives using ...

I'm not sure if the above will show as a link, but Sussex university did a pair on this done time ago. If I am ever lucky enough to own enough hives to try it, I'd love to.

Edit, it doesn't show as a link but type that into the bar and you will find it.

Has anyoneput them in your mouth or spit on them before running a queen in, like snelgrove suggests ?

How then? get her in your mouth, work up a good gobful of hockle, put your lips against the entrance then fire her out?

They do give some figures depending on how long the hive has been queenless.
One day after introduction the hive was inspected to determine if the queen was present (accepted). Acceptance was: 6 days queenlessness (100%), 5 days (100%), 4 days (92%), 3 days (92%), 2 days (85%), 1 day (31%).

Pretty poor then bit like their meaningful data on open mated magic queens :D

That is very interesting data to me.

I have noticed long time ago, that when bees cap emergency cells, it is very easy to give the Queen to the hive. Acceptance is almost 100% even if I do not use smoke.

Goooood...!

That is very interesting data to me.

I have noticed long time ago, that when bees cap emergency cells, it is very easy to give the Queen to the hive. Acceptance is almost 100% even if I do not use smoke.

Goooood...!

Aha! This is what I wanted to know. What do you think is the best time period between removing capped eQC and giving them a mated queen?

The last similar one I did I took out 3 supersedure cells and the queen, left them for half an hour then put the new queen in.....but I did have her in a cage
All is well now

Latest posts

Back