Lanstroth V National hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Cushman.

Langstroth equipment accounts for about 75% of worldwide beekeeping kit, however within that term 'Langstroth standard' there are about ninety sub species, some of which are totally incompatible with each other.

From Cushman.

Langstroth equipment accounts for about 75% of worldwide beekeeping kit, however within that term 'Langstroth standard' there are about ninety sub species, some of which are totally incompatible with each other.

A classic example would be swienty there 3/4 langstroth super boxes are actually mod dandant.

Poly Langstroth

I am very pleased with my poly Langstroth, chosen after a season working with our Association Nationals. Plenty of space, but beware some of the 'interlocking' poly hives - they are fine when using parts from the same manufacturer but are not compatible with some others.

Well im going to go the other way, nowt to do with hive size but more to do with the lugs on the frames, ive had LS for 6 years but struggle with big hands and a small area to grasp, poly, hive tool and fat fingers, not a good combination.
And i switched from cedar to poly, the difference again is noteable.

A classic example would be swienty there 3/4 langstroth super boxes are actually mod dandant.

Not quite so. These are actually the internationally used 'mediums' and are only known as 'Dadant depth' here in the UK. They are a bog standard and much used box. Look up the US woodenware producers and see what they sell as a standard size..............there are merely two, the standard deep, aka a brood body, and the mediums.

What we call a shallow Langstroth in THIS country is in fact a cut comb super elsewhere and rarely used. Even as shallows the medium/dadant depth box is far more common than the actually shallow shallows.

In various markets the Langstroth comes in Shallow, Medium, Intermediate, Deep, and Jumbo.........and the terminology for each varies. (ie 'Illinois Depth' in the US)

Ah so we are inventors again then :), to be fair I do like the setup.

Freedom of choice, a retailers nightmare and do the bees really care what box they are in

Having got a 14 x 12 and a commercial (16 x 10) I much prefer the commercial. Haven't got a clue why 14 x 12 became the more popular choice. In my opinion the frames a far inferior

Having got a 14 x 12 and a commercial (16 x 10) I much prefer the commercial. Haven't got a clue why 14 x 12 became the more popular choice. In my opinion the frames a far inferior
:iagree:
Each to his own but I'd choose Commercial before 14x12.

14x12 is simply the more popular choice as it is completely compatible with existing national kit.
so if you need to add a frame of brood you can just get a standard one from a donor with no probs.

IMO
Langstroth = ok
national = ok
commercial = ok
14x12 = boo

how would brood and a half work with the brood and super frame all in the one,so you have the two boxes but only lifting one frame the size of brood and a half?
have made a few up and gonna them just out of interest.
Darren

Thornes Commercials are compatible with national supers floors and crownboards. The frames don't sag and the bees must prefer their shape to 14x12 as they don't chew huge gaping holes in them. They also use more of the comb for laying

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

how would brood and a half work with the brood and super frame all in the one,so you have the two boxes but only lifting one frame the size of brood and a half?
have made a few up and gonna them just out of interest.
Darren
You are very close to reinventing the 14x12 ... !

You can 'eke a normal Nat Deep to 14x12. The eke is slightly smaller than a super. The comb area on a 14x12 is pretty much the same as a deep plus a shallow.

Hi Ross,
I see that you are a beginner and would like to ask where did you read that or who told you so?

Don't confuse the number of posts someone has to their name as whether they are a beginner or not.

That looks like a quote, where's the 5% figure from?

Could be an interesting source but I suspect it's no more than a top of the head guess. Given the disputed number of all hives in the UK and many of the larger operators importing direct, I don't know how you'd get anywhere near an accurate estimate.

The figure comes from a series of phone calls to the major hive manufacturers in the UK asking them approximately what percentage of the different types of hives they sold. The figures were all approximate but broadly speaking they were the same between the various suppliers. Approx 90% Nationals, 5% Langstroth and the remaining 5% were a mixture (smith, dadant, TBH, Warre etc).

Ross

Latest posts

Back