Labels??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob777

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi this is my first year of collecting Honey, Where is the best year for getting labels from?? thanks Bob

Speaking as a newbeek with a very modest harvest of honey this year (22 jars) I'd say the best place was at home - only used the table option in pages (wordprocessing prog), photocopied or printed on non water soluble ink, got kids to draw and colour pictures and with a bit of pritstick voila
picture.php

Home made is the route I took, using Publisher. Be aware of legal requirements ( BBKA website), and buy easy peel labels so they come off leaving no adhesive. Ready to use jars again, if you are naughty!

How many labels?

Who are you labelling for?

How 'posh' do you want them to look?

How good is your printer? (Laser or Inkjet)

Only need about 60-100 labels,
Need them for myself,
Not Fussed how they are,
Printer Inkjet,

Home made is the route I took, using Publisher. Be aware of legal requirements ( BBKA website), and buy easy peel labels so they come off leaving no adhesive. Ready to use jars again, if you are naughty!

Nothing naughty about recycling jars as long as they are whole and sterile.

How many labels?

Who are you labelling for?

How 'posh' do you want them to look?

How good is your printer? (Laser or Inkjet)

Trouble with inkjet is inks are water soluble from my experience (chutneys got wet and ran last year).

Only need about 60-100 labels,
Need them for myself,
Not Fussed how they are,
Printer Inkjet,

60-100 labels sort of imples you are not going to consume it all yourself.

Find somewhere that sells plain labels, ebay or staples or similar.

Use a pen

:)

Inkjet could (will) be a problem is there is excessive handling or any damp.

I 'print on demand' using a laser printer. Labels in bulk on A4 carrier sheets cost less than 1p each and I can do batches as small as one. Can't print metallics but other than that they can be as good as your customers need them to be.

I personally can't see the point in buying glossy pre-printed labels from commercial suppliers. I label uniquely per batch often by name but always by date. The smallest batch this years being I think four labels for a long time customer who gets his apples pollinated by my bees.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/honeyguidance.pdf

There is some other info on the bbka site

My OH uses a bit of petrol on a cloth to rub the really persistent labels off.
The jars (for jam) go in the dishwasher before storing and then get washed again and heated before being used.

a 100 labels with cost between £5 to £8 from the main beekeeping suppliers, takes about a week

see their web sites

this lot covers £hornes, Masiemore and Park Bees of BH styles but lots more styles out there to choose from, though one is incorrect spelling as i have dyslexia

Last edited:
Yes I too make my own on Word and put some of my own photos on them. Easy and makes them more interesting.

Has anyone used labels for small tins (ie lip balm/moisturiser)? Avery ones don't go down as far as 19/20mm but the ones I have found don't seem to have a template.
Ideally I'd like yellow.

Back