Labels and selling jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Is there a list of rules for labeling and selling honey in jars? At the moment I have a jar with a brown label tied to it with string (looks nice, good for presents) but I'm very sure that this won't be good enough if I wanted to sell them.

Is there a list of rules for labeling and selling honey in jars?
Yes, but it's a list of many documents covering weights and measures, food safety, labelling regulations, standards for water content and others.

Search for the BBKA leaflet on "Selling Honey" for a general guide. It's not perfect, it doesn't reference the original legislation it should be based on for instance, but it's readable and kept more or less up to date.

It says in the instructions that the label has to be stuck to the side - unfortunately my jars are an odd shape...is it ok to put the label on the lid?

Not sure if that is allowed, the problem I can see is how do you get all the info required at the right sizes on a lid?

You can use swing tags as a label, as long as it's securely attached to the jar - string, elastic band?

Not sure if that is allowed, the problem I can see is how do you get all the info required at the right sizes on a lid?
It is only the net weight (of honey) that must be at a (minimum) prescribed size. The rest merely has to legible ...

I'm sure the authorities wouldn't like all the statutory info being on the lid, but if its OK to have the actual lot number and 'best before' date on the lid, then where's the harm putting your name and address on there as well?

my jars are an odd shape...is it ok to put the label on the lid?
Odd shape? Are these recycled from somewhere or from an unusual source?

The packaging must be designed and sold for food and according to the letter of the rules not reused. Most bypass that by using glass or plastic jars and containers sold "for honey" in standard sizes (8, 12, 16 oz in old money). If you have something really attractive that fits the bill, then great but that usually means the jar is expensive to buy in. Most pay 30p or so a jar bought by the tray and it saves a lot of problems if trading standards or fete organisers decide to ask questions.

Latest posts

Back