Labelling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMH

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am going to use my 6 digit BB date as my lot number on my label and thinking of getting a labelroo machine to apply the labels, but how do people go about marking the lot number?

I dont want to be limited to ordering small amounts of labels.

I am only going to sell one size of jar (12oz) and would like to order the labels in bulk and then somehow apply the BB date/lot number

Is there a labeling machine that applies the label AND adds a 6 digit BB date/lot number to a specified location on the label?

I think if you put the full date on exactly three years from the date of extraction for the best before date you don't need a lot number. You can trace it through your records
E

I think if you put the full date on exactly three years from the date of extraction for the best before date you don't need a lot number. You can trace it through your records
E

Yes - that's my plan. But I dont want to print that number onto the labels.

I want to keep the labels generic so I can order in bulk and then apply the BB date/lot number (eg 250219) to each respective batch.

I think there are labelling machines that will add the 6 digit code to the labels as they apply the label

I'd prefer to batch in smaller quantities to be honest - around 200-300.

Print 'best before: see base' on all your labels then get a hand labelling machine that can print both BBE date and lot number (cheap as chips) on small labels for the base

Print 'best before: see base' on all your labels then get a hand labelling machine that can print both BBE date and lot number (cheap as chips) on small labels for the base

That's a great idea. Ive seen those machines and was thinking they look a bit tacky (excuse the pun) but doesnt matter if its on the base!

Problem resolved. Thanks

I'm having my labels printed locally. They can increase the lot number by one for each label. So, Batch 1 (dated in my notebook) could run from, say, Lot 1 to Lot 60; and the next batch from Lot 61 to whatever - and so on.

I don't sell commercially so my advice to anyone who buys my honey is that the Best Before Date is the day before you discovered the honey was a bit 'off'. I tell them it might set but it's fine in porridge or on hot toast. I also tell them that, like Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce, it doesn't really go off, ever, it just fades away over years.

The Lea and Perrins reference comes from a man who works there who was on Radio 4's Food Programme a few years ago and he said that although they have to but a BBF date on the bottle Worcester sauce does not ever go off, even after opening so long as the lid is on. Straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

If you sell at all I would suggest it is commercial. You should surely add a best before date then. Not being pedantic just a suggestion!
E

I don't really see the point, it's mostly sugar and there is no Best Before date on a bag of sugar. Many of these BB dates are there as arse-coverings really; like on marmalade and jam (both of course mostly sugar) where the only way the stuff is going to go off is if you use the same utensil you spread the butter with and put butter in the jam (dreadful habit, should be illegal).

And how can you put a BB date on something when you don't know how people are going to keep it? Do you put another label on saying don't keep it in the fridge and another that says don't put butter in it and another that says if you keep it more than a year you don't really like it and shouldn't have bought it.

The only BB label I'd put on (and I don't) is Best Before Hell Freezes Over.

I don't really see the point, it's mostly sugar and there is no Best Before date on a bag of sugar. Many of these BB dates are there as arse-coverings really; like on marmalade and jam (both of course mostly sugar) where the only way the stuff is going to go off is if you use the same utensil y

Not true I'm afraid.
I used to to put a 4 year best before date after bottling .....until I had to replace a jar.
Now the best before date is only 1 year from bottling and this is to protect me from customer error.
Honey is hygroscopic and absorbs water. If the lid is left loose on a jar of soft set, slowly the top absorbs moisture and dilutes the honey forming a layer of diluted sugars that yeasts can work in.
I had a lady bring a jar back that had gone off before the best before date. She was right it was a real smelly fermentation mess. Lot number confirmed it was 3.5 years ago I had sold her that honey.
Now I put a best before as 1 year after the date I have bottled it.

Last edited:
I don't really see the point, it's mostly sugar and there is no Best Before date on a bag of sugar. ... The only BB label I'd put on (and I don't) is Best Before Hell Freezes Over.

It's still illegal.

Not true I'm afraid. ...
If the lid is left loose on a jar of soft set, ...
I had a lady bring a jar back that had gone off before the best before date. She was right it was a real smelly fermentation mess. ...

Did you not put the lid on properly, or did she open it, and not close it properly, and then forgot it in the back of her cupboard until three years later?

Did you not put the lid on properly, or did she open it, and not close it properly, and then forgot it in the back of her cupboard until three years later?

Oh I think she had it at the back of her cupboard and forgot about it for three and a half years.
It was replaced and lesson learnt; protect yourself from your customers...

Oh I think she had it at the back of her cupboard and forgot about it for three and a half years.
It was replaced and lesson learnt; protect yourself from your customers...

It doesn't take much for a lid not to seal properly. Vacuum capped lids help in this regard.

I think there are other reasons as well why 12 months is a good idea. Honey can crystallize which whilst not a problem, aesthetically it isn't ideal and is less likely to happen within 12 months. Also, the quality of the glass (assuming the honey isn't packed into plastic) will have an impact as glass jars may leak alkali over time which may impact on the quality/taste of the honey.

Going to have to disagree here. Nearly all natural honeys will set within 12 months.
There are exceptions, usually borage.

Going to have to disagree here. Nearly all natural honeys will set within 12 months.
There are exceptions, usually borage.

And whatever my first ever bees brought home in my first summer...
My first honey from 2008 is still runny

On the other hand, some of this years spring honey set in three weeks

Just to be on the safe side I'll write a BB date in queen marker on the lid that way I don't have to buy new labels every year. I do it under duress though, I still think the "customer is always an idiot".

Latest posts

Back