Kit??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOOD HEAVENS!!! And you use them only once in summer per hive.

You are like living ambulance.

What I use with hive water bottle that I can drink and wash my hands and a knife and smoker.

My problem is my hives are about 50 metres away from my house, in a straight line, but up a 45 degree hill. Trust me in hot weather you don't want to walk it more than once....I keep spare hive parts in a storage unit by the hives. I like to be prepared for anything. I admire itma.... Your bees must always do what you want and expect.....mine don't!
not worthy
E

My problem is my hives are about 50 metres -
E

Another Good Heavens!!!

My property's side is 50 m. It really is impossible to walk that long in sunshine.

If you walk 5 km/hour, it takes 36 sec

35 metre high hill. It must be windy place. Why hives are there?

Well. My nearest hives are 10 metres from house door.

Last edited:
Since you don't inspect without reason, I take the things I expect to need.

For example, once all queens are marked, there's no need to carry a marker and crown of thorns.
If I was running an out-apiary, I suspect that the car boot would soon become a big toolbox, filled with things I wouldn't want to have to go home for! But I'm not and it isn't (yet!)

... I like to be prepared for anything. I admire itma.... Your bees must always do what you want and expect.....mine don't!
not worthy

I can't prepare for *everything*.
So, I only prepare for what I'm expecting to be doing.

But sure, stuff happens.
So it either goes on the list for next time, or today turns out differently.
As indicated, I'm sure I'll be going prepared for some contingencies when I start running an out-apiary! But for now, if I've got it, its not far away. The question is only whether or not I can find it!

smoker,fuel, blowtorch,marking pen,hive tool,marigolds,protective clothing,wellies,i usually have a spare nuc and hive but i will be leaving the empty hives at the apiaries this year.

Many of the above bits and pieces plus: plastic bags for gathering up bit of spare/old wax, elastic bands, small pair of wire cutters, gaffer tape.

Out apiary you see...down a track miles from home. No wheelbarrow though!

LJ.

It certainly appears to be a case of horses for courses, and how near or far away your hives are. Clearly having a plan as to what you want to do on the day helps, but invariably there is always that "what if " thought process too. What you inevertably Should atempt to try and do is avoid the wheel barrow senorio.

One things for sure, there'll always be something you've forgotten
:rolleyes:

Add to take

I hitch up the trailer, take everything I might need. Spare roof, crown board, frame feeder, Porter escapes (new), Spare frames with Foundation, MT Supers, Camera, Mobile Ph, Hive records, just about everything mentioned in previous posts.
But I notice no-one has said about taking an old container with lid on, with a mix of soda solution containing Hive Tools so you can wash them between hive inspections. Plus one of those plastic pan scourers. Water to wash hands and dry towel.
Only started doing this last year as all our courses here in Kent advise as much Hygiene as you would expect going into a hospital ward to visit a patient. So why not our bees?
Also another reason my out apiaries are each 2/3 miles away.
Bob.

I hitch up the trailer...
Definitely one up on a wheelbarrow! :)
But I notice no-one has said about taking an old container with lid on, with a mix of soda solution containing Hive Tools so you can wash them between hive inspections. Plus one of those plastic pan scourers. Water to wash hands and dry towel.
Really? No-one ???
But since I'm usually checking for healthy brood, I do carry a pair of tweezers... They live in the clip-top soda box with the hive tools.

Having converted to disposable gloves, I do take the packet ...

Last edited:
Self and spouse setting off to the out apiary with essential equipment.

Latest posts

Back