Kevin's Newbeek Diary Thread!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin1960

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hey Guys!

I'm going to do a bit of a diary here, all on the same thread so it won't be all sprawled out about how a Newbeek like me has begun this wonderful activity. I won't call it a hobby because in truth I think I will end up developing this into a small-income concern. Although I am expecting Newbeek setbacks, if I break even on costs by year 3 or 4 and a profit of around GB£150 per year thereafter I'll be over the moon. That'll pay for the wife's sports channels subscription! (I hate sports with a passion...)

- I joined this forum and made a great start - thanks to you guys.

- I've made the initial contacts as suggested by you and I'm waiting on replies. I'll be looking at various hive types but at this time I think I'm leaning towards the Dartington Long Deep (DLD) hive and I think I'm going to start with one hive but have two more ready to go. Hives placed at the back of my shed out of direct eyesight is going to minimise theft and damage. I'm going to camoflage the hives to blend in but I will have a bold colour on the front of each for the bees to identify their hive. I'm going to take the primary colours of the rainbow and place them on the hives so the bees see a greater UV difference like blue, red, green and so on. I'm also thinking of 2" fruit netting around the perimeter of the hives to further frustrate any would-be vandals.

- I'm looking at joining an appropriate Beek assoc with insurance etc. Costs are going to hit me hard but this is essential as I see it.

- I have around 100m2 of garden to plant fruit berry bushes that I like and the bees like - I'll be placing my order beginning of March ready to plant out when the frosts have finally gone. Raspberry, Blueberry and blackcurrant appeals most. Besides enjoying the fruits, I am a little worried about the acres of rape fields around me that I think the bees will go for. I don't think I want a near 100% rape honey. I'm good at taking cuttings and so the fruit berry bushes will fill out over the next few years. Jams will supplement the honey but not significantly because of the cost of sugar etc.

- I have the wood to diy into hives when I know which I want to go for, but I'm looking at and saving all the plans for now while the weather is too cold. I am also prepared to consider it might be worthwhile to buy some hives from someone like me who is into this but doesn't make that much from it. I do believe supporting from within. That said, I have also asked for some spare hives to be donated so fingers crossed.

All things being well, I'm going away in February and so I will update again in March - hopefully with major movements into this.

Catch you around these parts, guys! ;)

due to over the limit edit time

Blog it and possibly rethink your hive if you want to show a return.

PH

sorry guys, i didn't see the blogs section...I will do this and then this post can be deleted - sorry! Newbee mistakes, eh?!

Beeing a total computer illiterate I will be doomed to bee a new bee forever
What is a Blog?
Let alone a Blogerrs section... if that is what a a Blogger is called or is it a Bloggette?

Blog=weblog
I blog
You Blog
He she it Blog(s)
We Blog
You Blog
They Blog

...... must be a verb (to blog)

can it be used like another well known 4 letter word as a exclamation... Blog! or Oh Blog?
as an adjective, a gerund... ert etc ???

[think I have it... another acronym!!!! intenet terminology for worlwideweb log
like a kind of diary or posting board one can refer back to???]

how can you get jetlagged flying up or down the meridian????

B log, the one after the A log. Yes, a weblog, but now you know why it's called the Blog.

As Polyhive says, for a return rethink your hive type. 14x12 is probably best and if you can get them in poly so much the better.

Looking for a decent honey crop; be prepared to harvest the brood box.

Concerned about the price of sugar . . . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 15kg plus per colony winter feed.

Great idea with the fruit bushes, but you will find that your bees will prefer to eat out. Perhaps in early spring they might consider early pollen sources close to home, but not as a general rule.

Hey Hombre ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not worried about the price of sugar for the bees; it was for the jam-making as a result of having a large number of fruit berry bushes for the bees, but thanks for the info on how much sugar I might need so I will stock in good time!

But thinking ahead, if I start to make mead then I just might have to consider buying sugar in bulk and hope for a much better price. Anyone here buy sugar in bulk care to tell me how much they pay, please? Thanks!

when you got your BKA card, you can show it at 'bookers' cash'n'carry and get a 'members' card. then purchase sugar in 25 kg bags.
think last bag i got was 12.99

british sugar will also deliver in bulk (min 20 tonne) I believe

I'll be placing my order beginning of March ready to plant out when the frosts have finally gone. Raspberry, Blueberry and blackcurrant appeals most.

STOP! Don't pay for all those plants!

Ge yourself down to Poundland and pick up some £1 raspberry (OK) and bluberry (£1? now that IS good) plants from there, but do it soon.

Get on to Freecycle/Freegle and ask anyone if they have an overgrown soft fruit bed/plot they are looking to thin out and could you have the plants?

Finally, speak to your local allotment's site steward as to whether there are any mature blackberry plants likely to be pulled out (there will be, somewhere), in which case, offer to go down and remove as much of the root as you can, replant with plenty of well rotted manure and you may get it to flower this year.

In every case, try and get mature plants (which is why freegle is great) as thye have a better chance of flowering this year.

Oh no, not another 'new beekeeper' blog. I mean, if you were trekking to the North Pole to set up an apiary there, we might like to hear about your trials and tribulations.

Oh no, not another 'new beekeeper' blog. I mean, if you were trekking to the North Pole to set up an apiary there, we might like to hear about your trials and tribulations.

Oh No, no another 'grumpy bah humbug' post. I mean if you don't want to read it just don't read it - no need to knock the guy for enthusiasm. If you want to actually contribute something positive we might want to hear about it.

D'Oh!!!!

As another newbie, I'm looking forward to reading someone else's journey in parallel with my own! Especially one that is much more ambitious.

LOL @ Midland and Drew - sigh funny.

Yup getting a new house dependant, my shiny new WBC will hopefully get some bees in it. Looks like he has it all planned out. Especially the plants. So there are a few of us. *makes a note of names* as you two will probably be ahead of me it will be good to see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back