Keeping Buckfasts pure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
returning to OP...
:mad:Still not convinced there is such a beast!

As far as I can tell the Buckfast Bee was always evolving and those that took breeding material from BA and continued to follow his methods are evolving it still.

"Pure Buckfast" doesn't make much sense, agreed.

However, the basic idea of continually using selective breeding to get a bee that is gentle, productive and disinclined to swarm makes a lot of sense to me. I suppose if some of the genetics trace back to BA's stock and the breeder has continued the tradition then the "Buckfast" label is justified.

As far as I can tell the Buckfast Bee was always evolving and those that took breeding material from BA and continued to follow his methods are evolving it still.

"Pure Buckfast" doesn't make much sense, agreed.

However, the basic idea of continually using selective breeding to get a bee that is gentle, productive and disinclined to swarm makes a lot of sense to me. I suppose if some of the genetics trace back to BA's stock and the breeder has continued the tradition then the "Buckfast" label is justified.

I often hear the same argument put forward by Hinckley Triumph 3 cylinder motorcycle enthusiasts....... bear the same name.. slightly different logo.. but only resemblance to the real Meriden Triumph triples is that they have 2 wheels an engine etc.. and were / are mostly manufactured in the UK.

I will sit on the fence as find such arguments inane...
admire the idea of a continuing tradition !:leaving:
I have owned and enjoyed both!

with both feet firmly placed on the ground!:beatdeadhorse5:

GOTTA GO :seeya:

air is full of bees in the lane outside my house.... not ANOTHER Bucklike swarm!

bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie:leaving::leaving:

You can go right of some people- 2 triumphs and an unlimited supply of high-class swarms! :)

Latest posts

Back