Keepers who do NOT treat for varroa!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is OA treatment a new thing ? and is it really necessary if you are going dust in spring anyway ?

Why are you going to dust anyway in spring?

If you hive has no brood in winter and you trickle, they need no spring treatment.
Next place is to valuate, do they need treatment in late summer before they make winter cluster brood.

Last edited:
I have been on the scrounge today for some mixed OA as thornes is shut, and Alarmingly when i spoke with a member of the local Association i was told he does not know of any members who use it !!.

Is OA treatment a new thing ? and is it really necessary if you are going dust in spring anyway ?

I have to say that i was a little miffed, here am i, a newbie to the hobby doing my best to keep disease and mites to a minimum, but those who keep their colonys less than a mile or two from me appear to be less bothered.

I have some,I will come and give you a hand tomorrow if your around.
Sent you a pm.

Finman said:
If you hive has no brood in winter and you trickle, they need no spring treatment.
It is a big "if". Some colonies do not have a period with no brood at all, and in the UK few beekeepers seem to favour removing brood to ensure fully effective OA trickling.

Ray

It is a big "if". Some colonies do not have a period with no brood at all, and in the UK few beekeepers seem to favour removing brood to ensure fully effective OA trickling.
Ray

Well I will never know if I have any brood,because there is no way I am going to go pulling frames in this weather to check.

I will assume that I have some capped brood and keep an eye on things as the season gets going and treat if I need to with a sugar dust.

I think temperature of the brood is an indication ~22 no brood ~ 35 brood. So through the use of a digital thermometer and probe (possibley inserted year-round).

But that is getting hi-tech or should we be going hi-tech? After all the Victorians always strived for the latest gadgets and fads, has much in beekeeping really changed since then!

You raise a very interesting point Jim,I may start a new thread all of its own for it.

I may say that you have ability to make all so difficult that there is no change to nurse bees in UK. Whole thinking is so high tech that it collapses to itself.

Mad gang......

Trickling has been invented in Italy. It it does not go in England?

Some in Southern England have used trickling 5 years with succes and some cannot.

NEVER ENDING STORY

Last edited:
Is It national anti Englishman day today in Finland?

No. I just admire when you have so different.

My country men cannot invent good questions against OA. Many just hate/ are afraid it without any reason.

Latest posts

Back