Karin Alton(LASI) recommends vaping now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDM

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
100 ish
She posted on Facebook today that her Beekeepers report low brood levels in the south of England( average 200 cells per hive) with some much higher temps for the foreseeable, she may have a point.

Well you know what to do.....Have a look and if there is brood you scrape it out, vape and vape again a week later.
OR
You make sure that your autumn treatment is effective and you leave your bees alone

Well you know what to do.....Have a look and if there is brood you scrape it out, vape and vape again a week later.
OR
You make sure that your autumn treatment is effective and you leave your bees alone

I'm quite sure my September treatment was successful, but given they've had 2 months of brood rearing since then, I'll try to hit a broodless patch and treat again.
Well actually, I don't check and scrape out , but I do vape and then vape just to confirm they were broodless( or nearly)

Or, you could keep your bees sufficiently insulated as to deal with the varroa in their own way.

She posted on Facebook today that her Beekeepers report low brood levels in the south of England( average 200 cells per hive) with some much higher temps for the foreseeable, she may have a point.

Worrying how many beekeeping acolytes are still opening up and poking about in their hives at the drop of a hat.

Or, you could keep your bees sufficiently insulated as to deal with the varroa in their own way.

Bees cannot do anything to mites, and insulation has nothing to do with mites.

Own way is to die.

I'm quite sure my September treatment was successful, )

That is pure hoping. Sometimes it is more succesfull and sometimes less succesfull.

Oxalic acid is meant to add success.

But it is not bad idea to wait to January, that there are no brood then in hives.
Trickling works fine then.

.Nothing hurry now with couple hives. You treat them inside one hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite sure my September treatment was successful,

Depends how many mites were there at the start of treatment in September
Eg:
3000 mites
90% kill leave 300 mites
95% kill leaves 150 mites

Over the last 3 months with brood present those numbers will have increased.
That's why I use winter OA treatment.

Eg:
3000 mites
90% kill leave 300 mites
95% kill leaves 150 mites

Do you monitor drop with September treatment?
Do you monitor Winter treatment?

Depends on the treatment being used as well, and there is the importance of the percentage of infection at the end of the treatment, which may of been only a couple of weeks ago?... also taking into account any horizontal transmission that may of occurred.

Worrying how many beekeeping acolytes are still opening up and poking about in their hives at the drop of a hat.

A bit harsh surely? She's a researcher on honey bee health. If she wasn't "poking around" there would be criticism that researchers weren't doing anything.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

A bit harsh surely? She's a researcher on honey bee health. If she wasn't "poking around" there would be criticism that researchers weren't doing anything.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Having a research group doing it is one thing. For the masses to blindly follow suit is simply foolish in my opinion. Perhaps you can see some sense in disruption of the colony through the winter? I wonder if you read some of the stuff that gets posted on the BBKA Facebook page. Some of it made me cringe :(

Last edited:
Excellent real time advice.
I'm not looking for any brood this year but was intending to oxalic between now and the longest night.

We are getting young generation of beekeepers. They are young women, and they have beautifull ideas about the world. They want to save the Earth.

Our olf farts have been interested in inventing wheels. They have own floors, own inner covers, own solution here and there. Huge debating.
Own way to collect the frame. Huge!

Latest posts

Back