Karin Alton(LASI) recommends vaping now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they should find a slogan "We do the hard work so you don't have to.."

It's probably a good guess there's going to be very little as the weather has been really quite cold since about 19th November with first frost being 20th November according to weather history here https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/manchester/historic

The point is that there has to be none at all if you are following the LASI protocol of treating just the once a year. If you aren't and plan to treat after harvest then the winter treatment is a mop up.

Meanwhile you write here, peek inside. Then you know.

biological systems are not that simple as well you know. I would guess pollen availablility and light levels play a part. Even the height of the sun in the brightest part of the day could be in there.

Designing and executing experiments to separate them out/eliminate as factors would not be quick or particularly easy. One thing that has been eliminated is day length. A.m are only very weakly photoperiodic

That is pure hoping. Sometimes it is more succesfull and sometimes less succesfull.

Oxalic acid is meant to add success.

But it is not bad idea to wait to January, that there are no brood then in hives.
Trickling works fine then.

.Nothing hurry now with couple hives. You treat them inside one hour.

I've a couple more than you to treat, no hoping involved in my certainty, I know from the drop on the final treatment what the success was.
Uk temps today are 15°c in most places and every forecast I've seen has us in double figures til Christmas. There's no shortage of pollen near me, gorse is a constant and the last of the ivy is still flowering. Hoping for a broodless period in January in the UK would be a huge mistake imo.

Last edited:
No point in shooting the messenger, I suspect she gave the notice to avoid any need for others to open their hives.

biological systems are not that simple as well you know. I would guess pollen availablility and light levels play a part. Even the height of the sun in the brightest part of the day could be in there.

Designing and executing experiments to separate them out/eliminate as factors would not be quick or particularly easy. One thing that has been eliminated is day length. A.m are only very weakly photoperiodic

Beekeeping is not such exact and that difficult. You just live with uncertainty and try to live forward. Nothing is eternal.

I keep spare hives 20% and I do not need to cry for some dead colony.

If you are worry about mites this time of year, you are 5 months too late.

When you kill last mites now, it affect to the next autumn's mite load.

Beekeepers are ordinary people. Mostly they do not understand much about biology.

Beekeeping is not such exact and so difficult. You just live with uncertainty and try to live forward. Nothing is eternal. uncertainty

I keep spare hives 20% and I do not need to cry for some dead colony. There are in my life much more bigger issues that those buggs.

I loose my hives often to varroa, but I do not tear my game pants

When to treat hive in in the middle of winter????

Forum has been discussed during 10 years.

I have read from forum that some hives have brood in January and some have not. That's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beekeepers are ordinary people. Mostly they do not understand much about biology.

Beekeeping is not such exact and so difficult. You just live with uncertainty and try to live forward. Nothing is eternal. uncertainty

I keep spare hives 20% and I do not need to cry for some dead colony. There are in my life much more bigger issues that those buggs.

I loose my hives often to varroa, but I do not tear my game pants.

2400 posts a year for 8yrs on a simple subject you don't much care about ?

I've a couple more than you to treat, no hoping involved in my certainty, I know from the drop on the final treatment what the success was.

Exactly - these twenty hive beekeepers fiddling around with terrapin heaters in their varroa infested hives.........................................

2400 posts a year for 8yrs on a simple subject you don't much care about ?

Luckily bees stand many kind of theories. I hope that no one tell them to bees. They would become desperate.

Exactly - these twenty hive beekeepers fiddling around with terrapin heaters in their varroa infested hives.........................................

Lol , this forum needs a "like" button

You worry too much about miserable things in the world. You should get your own life, for goodness sake.

Cry for any mite eaten colonies in the world.... Hairpull...

Hoping for a broodless period in January in the UK would be a huge mistake imo.

I cannot worry about everybody's bees on earth like Jenkins do. Even God helps those who help themselves.

Take the brood frames off from hive and sleep well.

Last edited:
Not worrying about you at all and if you wish to call yourself miserable, that's up to you. I'd prefer the adjective curmudgeonly

Oh dear. You have spent 7 years from your only life to prove that I do not exist and I do not have bees.. What is going now?

Push "get a life button".

Last edited:
At least we agree on something.
Pity really - we're looking for a retired person who needs a bit of pocket money to take care of the village public toilets.

Pocket money? What is that?

We have no toilets in this village. We just go under tree and sweep with moss.
Do the same . Do same as dogs. Look an example from them.

If you want get rid of the flan, pour fatty bouillon over it, and next dog will eate it.

Last edited:
Free hint

WGTS8ey.gif

rahkasammal.JPG

She posted on Facebook today that her Beekeepers report low brood levels in the south of England( average 200 cells per hive) with some much higher temps for the foreseeable, she may have a point.

LASI have a video clip...pretty basic and with a few omissions (like not using soapy water to dislodge the phoretic mites being washed off).. but, on the whole its not too bad (if only they wouldn't keep claiming that they have found things that other researchers published years ago).
https://youtu.be/1BuQlhvGOJk

Latest posts

Back