Just about to pick up our first Bees!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyjet62

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I've been watching this forum on and off since last year when we first decided to try beekeeping. Did the theory lectures with our local association through the winter and ordered a nuc, which I have just been informed is ready for collection, hopefully tomorrow evening.

As with all things, we have had varying opinions as to the best way to hive our new bees. Some say leave in nuc for a few days to settle, some hive as soon as collected. Now its crunch time so to speak, we are wondering what to do for the best. Do we hive them straight away? Do we feed? Or is it best to just add them to the brood box, queen excluder, super and leave them to it for a while?
All these questions have been asked before I know. Our thoughts would be to hive them and let them do what comes naturally in their new home. Just looking for some support really!

Thanks.

They've been in there long enough! Hive them. There should be no need to feed. Welcome!

Welcome to the forum,

I would place the Nuc in the position of the new hive, leave them a few minutes, then open them up.

I would then leave them a few hours to settle into their surroundings and to do a bit of housekeeping - dead body removal, relieve themselves, orientate themselves, and perhaps a little temperature control in the Nuc for the brood.

Then I would move the Nuc to one side of the hive and carefully transfer the frames into the brood box (being careful to not lose the queen) placed in its final location. I would use undrawn foundation on the additional frames needed to fill the BB. Any remaining bees can be shaken into the BB. I would leave the Nuc for the night to let them scavenge any food left in it, then I would remove it.

Depending on the level of forage I wouldn't feed them at this time.

Job done. I would then leave them alone for a week. Really alone, no peeks. In this time they will organise themselves and carry out orientation flights.

All the best,
Sam

cheers for that moggs!

Just what I was thinking. I have it on good authority (one of our mentors is the regional bee inspector) that the breeders we are buying from are renowned for their calm, healthy bees. Apparently there has'nt been a problem in the time that he and the previous inspector (also the association sec and co founder) have been recommending them. I think were in good hands with the collective knowledge our mentors have, but it never hurts to get second opinions, especially when its your first venture into something!

Really looking forward to getting our bees at last and can't wait to get our apiary up and running.

Welcome to the forum,

I would place the Nuc in the position of the new hive, leave them a few minutes, then open them up.

I would then leave them a few hours to settle into their surroundings and to do a bit of housekeeping - dead body removal, relieve themselves, orientate themselves, and perhaps a little temperature control in the Nuc for the brood.

Then I would move the Nuc to one side of the hive and carefully transfer the frames into the brood box (being careful to not lose the queen) placed in its final location. I would use undrawn foundation on the additional frames needed to fill the BB. Any remaining bees can be shaken into the BB. I would leave the Nuc for the night to let them scavenge any food left in it, then I would remove it.

Depending on the level of forage I wouldn't feed them at this time.

Job done. I would then leave them alone for a week. Really alone, no peeks. In this time they will organise themselves and carry out orientation flights.

All the best,
Sam

welcome

i agree with the above, with one proviso, you are in wettest wales and if the weather is inclement in the next few days or after and the bees unlikely to fly i would feed a pint a day of 1:1 sugar solution to keep them happy but only on non flying days because you can get honey block if you feed lots and the queen has no where to lay eggs

weather forecast: wet ish in the west until the 10th and sun bathing weather last week in May but down pours BH

lots of debate last year on feed feed feed a Nuc

Last edited:
Are you picking them up from Tonyrefail perchance?
I've just picked up my first bees from them today Carl letme choose a nuc and then told me I'd chosen the right one (he said me afterwards he'd have told me if I'd made the wrong choice) lovely people and a lovely box of bees (this years Buckfast queen) all the nucs seemed bursting with bees and brood

One more thing - he advised me to let them settle for a day or two and then hive them with a good feed (weather depending) I hope to move mine Friday or Saturday

Are you picking them up from Tonyrefail perchance?
I've just picked up my first bees from them today Carl letme choose a nuc and then told me I'd chosen the right one (he said me afterwards he'd have told me if I'd made the wrong choice) lovely people and a lovely box of bees (this years Buckfast queen) all the nucs seemed bursting with bees and brood

Yes...from colin & wendy chivers?

I,m afraid I will have to be guided by them as to the right choice, but from what Ive heard of them and after what you've just said, I have every confidence that there'll be no problems with them... which ever nuc I pick.

Wettest Wales MM? We've had two short sharp showers in over six weeks and are rationing water now.

As for the super...leave it off until you have six frames brood and the brood box is drawn.

Yes...from colin & wendy chivers?

I,m afraid I will have to be guided by them as to the right choice, but from what Ive heard of them and after what you've just said, I have every confidence that there'll be no problems with them... which ever nuc I pick.

Yes that's right. I chose one of the Buckfast 2011 queens plenty of brood and active bees there were also a few overwintered nucs there cram jammed with bees but I went on the side of caution (better the colony grows slowly with me than explode at any moment!)
Good luck!

hi welsh members it would be nice if any one lives in the rhondda area,to get in touch. so we can support each other me and my father in law are in ferndale feel free to talk to us i am interested in how we all work our bees.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been watching this forum on and off since last year when we first decided to try beekeeping. Did the theory lectures with our local association through the winter and ordered a nuc, which I have just been informed is ready for collection, hopefully tomorrow evening.

As with all things, we have had varying opinions as to the best way to hive our new bees. Some say leave in nuc for a few days to settle, some hive as soon as collected. Now its crunch time so to speak, we are wondering what to do for the best. Do we hive them straight away? Do we feed? Or is it best to just add them to the brood box, queen excluder, super and leave them to it for a while?
All these questions have been asked before I know. Our thoughts would be to hive them and let them do what comes naturally in their new home. Just looking for some support really!

Thanks.

Lucky you. Still waiting for mine. All the best.

Latest posts

Back