julie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie hawthorne

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
HI, I'm new here and pretty green in the bee world. My hive that I just got last spring from a swarm was so docile and dear last year. Very productive and too happy and busy to notice me at all, but this year every time I go in my garden they attack! What happened! I've ordered a new queen and I've feed them, but they are just chompin on the bit about WHAT? Will a new queen help calm them down? Could they be cramped for space? Any ideas?

hi Julie and welcome to the forum

any chance you can give us some more info about the hive and things, what sort of hive is it, does it have any supers on and if so how many.

whats the weather in Oregon been like the last few weeks? have you done any inspections to see whats going on inside the hive?

we can give you some advice when we know.

cheers

Welcome Julie. If you open them when cold or windy they sometimes get grumpy too.

I read the first bit that said....hi I'm new here and pretty......and I stopped there!
Welcome

Most likely reason is they superceded.

Welcome Julie. If you open them when cold or windy they sometimes get grumpy too.

Agree with both.

A swarm will be headed by a mature/older queen. Its not unusual for the bees to replace the swarm queen once they have settled into their new home.
Which will mean a change (big or little but a change) in their genetic makeup, potentially including temper.

But it might be the weather, or that stores are getting low, or that something has upset them (not now, but wasp attack does this)... or a bunch of other possibilities including the recent death of the queen. They can even get moody when a nectar flow stops. Women!
Queenlessness produces nastiness which fades over a few weeks into apathy and torpor.

Oh yeah. Welcome!

/ a boy named Julie? Shirley Sue?

Latest posts

Back