"Jelly " like Honey texture- whats caused it ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi
opened a jar of last years honey and its more like a Jam .,with a surface tension and gel like structure.

tasted great,but wondering whats caused it ? was stored in the dark in a cool room.

Possibly heather also takes a while to crystallise normally with single large crystals and a decent flavour. Was it a pain to extract! Any heather near you?

no heather nearby , and it wasnt like that at extraction ( last July) . couple of other bottles crystallised, but this one bottle is more like a "jam" texture.

Are you sure you have none close even a couple of miles distance. The jelly description is classic heather! and there are some areas in Sussex.

I had some late summer honey like jelly last year, I suspect they found a decent amount of Heather pollen. First time the honey has had a jelly like consistency in 15 years of bee keeping

Hi
opened a jar of last years honey and its more like a Jam .,with a surface tension and gel like structure.

tasted great,but wondering whats caused it ? was stored in the dark in a cool room.
Heather honey possibly I’ve known the girls to travel 3-4 mile

Yes, I’ve had heather from 2-3 miles. First I knew about it was unbalanced extractor!
Mind you I’ve also had them ignore heather within a mile. Strange eh?

Back