Jarrah honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cefn Eithaf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking for some information on Jarrah honey extraction. Does it require pressing as it's thixotropic or can it be extracted in a centrifuge ? Are there any idiosyncrasies about Jarrah ?

I'm looking for some information on Jarrah honey extraction. Does it require pressing as it's thixotropic or can it be extracted in a centrifuge ? Are there any idiosyncrasies about Jarrah ?
I’ll tag @understanding_bees
He might know as there’s lots of eucalyptus in OZ

I thought he might have something to say. Doesn’t eucalyptus grow in Melbourne?
It sure does but little jarrah according to the info I found. There a funny lot in Melbourne I had a girlfriend there once😉

I'll have to get Mam to ask my Auntie Myfanwy next time she phones - she's been living there for the last forty years or so
You know I said I had a girlfriend in Melbourne once…..short girl still had 4 of her own teeth and only shaved fortnightly….sound familiar.

Last edited:
I’ll tag @understanding_bees
He might know as there’s lots of eucalyptus in OZ
Thank you Dani, but unfortunately in this instance I do not have an answer. I will try to find out.

I find it strange that disrespectful comments are made so frequently in letters to this forum, including this discussion thread. Is it possible that restrictions which have been introduced because of the Covid pandemic have induced “cabin fever”, and that people are somehow thereby induced to make all sorts of outrageous statements?

I find it refreshing to note that some contributors to this forum are consistently polite in what they write, and I want to acknowledge my appreciation of that. But I feel compelled to say that I find it quite obnoxious that some contributors seem to revel in making derogatory remarks as part of their “stock in trade”. This is the “Beekeeping Forum”, and the reason I wanted to join it was so that I could learn from the knowledge and experience which was available from respectful people. So many comments of an impolite nature have been made so frequently in some of the forum discussions, that I believe the moderators should have felt compelled to call those impolite contributors to account.

There are so many aspects to beekeeping husbandry which are difficult to fully understand, at least in part because of the very wide ranging conditions of climate in various parts of the beekeeping world. In this respect there will doubtless always be wide ranging beliefs and practises over the best ways to keep bees. But there are also facts of a scientific nature, where much more objective advice can be given. I believe that honest questions deserve honest answers. Sometimes people share opinions, in their desire to provide helpful advice, but sometimes we need to distinguish between helpful advice and absolute knowledge. There should be no shame attached to a person who seeks an honest answer, but there should be a great deal of shame on those who ridicule truthful and factual information.

Yes, it is a very long distance between Melbourne and Perth and the region where Jarrah forests grow, and yes, there are very many species of tree which are described as Eucalypts. I have very little knowledge of the frequency of flowering of Eucalyptus trees. While there are some native Australian trees which flower every year, there are others which only flower periodically. I am very content to acknowledge that there are still lots of things which I do not know. However I would also state that there are a great many things which I know with absolute certainty, and I reject the ignorant criticisms which have on occasions been made against some of my posts to this forum.

Further to my letter, #14, I offer the following information. In an endeavour to find an answer to the question raised about Jarrah Honey, I have today phoned the Department of Primary Industries in Perth, and received advice which I hope will prove helpful to Cefn Eithaf.

Jarrah trees do not flower every year, but usually every second year. They were described to me as “fickle producers”. Jarrah honey is not likely to become candied – it will stay liquid for a very long time. The man who provided this information has about one hundred hives, and he uses a honey extractor, without the need to use a heated room. He said that a heated room would probably make the extraction process a little quicker.

Further to my letter, #14, I offer the following information. In an endeavour to find an answer to the question raised about Jarrah Honey, I have today phoned the Department of Primary Industries in Perth, and received advice which I hope will prove helpful to Cefn Eithaf.

Jarrah trees do not flower every year, but usually every second year. They were described to me as “fickle producers”. Jarrah honey is not likely to become candied – it will stay liquid for a very long time. The man who provided this information has about one hundred hives, and he uses a honey extractor, without the need to use a heated room. He said that a heated room would probably make the extraction process a little quicker.
Thank you for your information and the lengths you went to get it.
As for #14 I’m sorry you are so sensitive to our sense of humour.
This is indeed The Beekeeping Forum but it is a peculiarly British one

Thank you very much for this information understanding bees. I really appreciate your time and effort. I will pass on the information to my daughter who now has 2 colonies in her WSP hives.

I asked in an Australian forum and this is what I got

No Jarrah honey is not thixotropic. It also has a high fructose content so doesn’t tend to crystallise quickly unlike our endemic Marri, or Redgum, honey which is the main flow here in the great SW Aus.

Latest posts

Back