Japanese knotweed a significant contributor to honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimy Dee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Just saw an american utube clip where the beekeeper claims that japanese knotweed is the main producer of their honey at a set period of their beekeeping year. Does any one on his forum consider this plant to be a significant contributor to honey yields? This is the first I have heard this plant heralded as a producer of honey and there seems to be significant stands of this weed in most locations.

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBUxXHtdmA

Google it before asking.....Wiki says the following. "Japanese knotweed flowers are valued by some beekeepers as an important source of nectar for honeybees, at a time of year when little else is flowering. Japanese knotweed yields a monofloral honey, usually called bamboo honey by northeastern U.S. beekeepers, like a mild-flavored version of buckwheat honey (a related plant also in the Polygonaceae)".

I take your point but my questions was to find out about beekeepers in the British Isles, not what happens in the rest of the world.

Interesting point. I know of about an acre of the stuff not too far away. Mono floral English bamboo honey, hell that's got to be worth £15/lb..

Just saw an american utube clip where the beekeeper claims that japanese knotweed is the main producer of their honey at a set period of their beekeeping year. Does any one on his forum consider this plant to be a significant contributor to honey yields? This is the first I have heard this plant heralded as a producer of honey and there seems to be significant stands of this weed in most locations.

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBUxXHtdmA

Considered alongside its unwanted, invasive effects on building foundations I seriously doubt it'll redeem itself by contributing some honey. Surprising local councils aren't more proactive in destroying it wherever it's found.

We've got a lot of it springing up here and for us it seems to flower right at the end of the chestnut and the beginning of the ivy flow. i.e. now!! I am opening up a new apiary this winter right next to a fair sizes patch so now I've seen this video i am pretty pleased.Thanks for sharing it!!
Spoke to a few in America on my recent trip, they all love the stuff! its gone up in my estimation!! :iagree:

Considered alongside its unwanted, invasive effects on building foundations I seriously doubt it'll redeem itself by contributing some honey. Surprising local councils aren't more proactive in destroying it wherever it's found.

I agree completely although they look lovely when in flower these are a nightmare there is a tonnes near my town but the council have done nothing. Very near some houses which would now be refused a mortgage more than likeley if they were to sell. Contributor or not imho should be eliminated at,all costs

Plenty in flower here at the moment, and I have seen bees working it in the past, a thought came to me on the way to work this moment which I'll either confirm or not when I get home and check my pollen charts

That could help with my theory then - not that much sign of foraging on HB at the home apiary, heather looks fantastic and bees bringing in whitish pollen but the bees are flying in the opposite direction toweards the river and the peashooters, so could be bringing in knotweed pollen and nectar.

Near my last apiary there was masses of it and the bees were always working it.

Near my last apiary there was masses of it and the bees were always working it.

Not seen any of it around, may need to get some from somewhere and plant around the apiaries.

Wicked!
If you stick some in your flower borders in a few years it solves the drudge of weeding them.

Wicked!
If you stick some in your flower borders in a few years it solves the drudge of weeding them.

We have lots of SSSI sites around here, they would be the ideal place for it to grow in profusion, and benefit the wildlife.

Yup, the possibilities are endless.
I worry about the honey marketing though, Knotweed doesn't quite have that frequent till ringing tone to it. Japanese will bring back war memories.
Best to go Latin, maybe japonica honey.
Yes I like that one, it has a nice ring to it.

Back