IvyWatch UK and Ireland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ivy open here in the north of North Yorkshire. But there is definitely a flow on today. No idea what

No balsam markings but some very orange pollen
2663cae91d73385874785bb8fa70218e.jpg

Bees behaving like mid summer. I can hear them from yards away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a side note from a newb . Does Russian Vine give anything to the bees ? Its been in flower for several weeks before the Ivy although the rain has kept the bees from getting out much .

Ivy not out yet in my part of Norfolk. Bees are busier now than they were in the Summer. Plenty of stores being brought in. Some bees look as though they have been in a flower mill and bringing greyish white pollen in. ( any idea what they are working? I don't think we have any Him. balsam in the area).

I am a bit concerned that the ivy stores will crystalize as they did last year, so I am still feeding a little 1:2 syrup to hopefully soften the honey.

MIke

They found a small bit of ivy somewhere today but not much

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Ivy not out yet in my part of Norfolk. Bees are busier now than they were in the Summer. Plenty of stores being brought in. Some bees look as though they have been in a flower mill and bringing greyish white pollen in. ( any idea what they are working? I don't think we have any Him. balsam in the area).

I am a bit concerned that the ivy stores will crystalize as they did last year, so I am still feeding a little 1:2 syrup to hopefully soften the honey.

MIke

Almost 100% HB (Himalayan Balsam)

Checked the Ivy Hedge just down the road from us Sunday, and it's now in flower. Bees were certainly feeding on it Sunday, so I guess they've been lapping it up all this week in the sunny weather here.

been going mad here in London for the last week, epic amounts of pollen coming home... have said a few thankyous to the weather gods for the lovely settled week to let them out to take full advantage!

smell of ivy in the garden is very strong approx 100 square metres of ivy within 60metres of the hives syrup on all the hives

Deffo Ivy! Lots around here and can smell it around the hives. How about you?

A massive flow (considering smaller colonies) but I'm not sure it's ivy yet. It lacks that smell and a lot of the pollen is more yellow. It's got them brooding whatever it is, which is a relief after those dreadful several week I was worried about colony strengths.

ADD Prolly old man's beard (clematis vitalba). Big pre-ivy forage for me.

Last edited:
still see only small amount open here.

Huge amount just about to open.... but... weather to break Sunday, forecast for Rain and Gale force winds for next week, today wall to wall sunshine !

Some of the ivy just opening these last couple of days, the girls are all over it and a proper loud contented hum from the apiary processing ivy nectar. Maybe three-quarters of the ivy still in bud yet too - happy days :party:

Just arrived in Padstow for a week away, the Ivy is in full bloom here and is buzzing with bees. Back home there are a few flowers just opening.

Yesterday was the first I'd seen humming here, I echo the dismay at the turn in the weather just at the time when they could be packing in the stores.

Big time Ivy flow on here. Went for a walk last night and can't get away from the sickly smell! Glad to put up with that, however, in exchange for a good lot of winter bees.

Back