Ivy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tidymeup - the bright yellow pollen will be from ivy. My bees are going mad on the stuff at the moment. More activity than I've ever seen all year. One hive has two supers on and I fear might need another.

Won't let me read all pages so posting this to see if it now lets me.

OK it's working again. Can anyone answer my query about taking ivy honey off uncapped or is it better if it's capped?

Give it a shake and see if much falls out.
If its still runny then it will ferment in the comb if removed,but you often find that bees will not cap until the very last minute and that could be weeks away if the flow is still on,some breeds will not cap all cells and are just happy to leave it open at the right water content,so it could be ready now.

Problems with Ivy Honey?

My wife has been researching some Russian beekeeping websites & found one that says Ivy honey should be removed as it gives the bees diarrhoea.

Anyone know anything about this?

My wife has been researching some Russian beekeeping websites & found one that says Ivy honey should be removed as it gives the bees diarrhoea.

Anyone know anything about this?

will they collect stuff which might be bad for them?

Lauri

We drink Sam Smiths when there is nothing better to be had, so why shouldn't the bees do similar.

Hi Gavin.

I've done that already, but could gather some again for you if you like. If you search on the other forum for 'hedera' you'll find the discussions together with images of the pollen grains. I'll check and see if I have spare slides - if so, they're yours.

Did you have any luck finding the samples?

I would still like them if possible.
Many thanks

Regards;

Latest posts

Back