Ivy honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Due to the bad year I had last year. Ivy was the choice of collection. Supers filled with the stuff, hard crystalline filled cells.
I tried extracting last year, some of this got into the honey that was spun out and set the whole lot off in the settling tank, rock solid.
I am tempted to dispose these supers because there is some left or keep and let the the bees consume?
Has anyone had a similar experience and what did you do next?:thanks:

It does not make very nice tasting honey so I take my supers off before the ivy flowers so that any they collect they can have for winter.

Don't know if they will take it back if it has set, I would be tempted to cut my losses.

It does not make very nice tasting honey so I take my supers off before the ivy flowers so that any they collect they can have for winter.

Don't know if they will take it back if it has set, I would be tempted to cut my losses.

dissolve in warm water and feed back?

Due to the bad year I had last year. Ivy was the choice of collection. Supers filled with the stuff, hard crystalline filled cells.
I tried extracting last year, some of this got into the honey that was spun out and set the whole lot off in the settling tank, rock solid.
I am tempted to dispose these supers because there is some left or keep and let the the bees consume?
Has anyone had a similar experience and what did you do next?:thanks:

Do as finman says in post three

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24533

Put the supers on for winter feed - they wouldn't collect the stuff if they couldn't use it. I've had some ivy honey in the brood box at autumn time - it's always gone come spring.

Latest posts

Back