Ivy and HB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeNice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 now
Has anyone else noticed that this year the HB flowered a month early and has now finished in the sheffield area anyway (whereas last year at this time it was still in flower til the first frost) and the Ivy has flowered very strongely this year with Plenty of flowers out and the bees taking in lots of pollen and nectar from the Ivy. I hadn't thought it was a particularly hot summer this year but I may have been wrong about the warmth of this year.
Steven

Has anyone else noticed that this year the HB flowered a month early and has now finished in the sheffield area anyway (whereas last year at this time it was still in flower til the first frost) and the Ivy has flowered very strongely this year with Plenty of flowers out and the bees taking in lots of pollen and nectar from the Ivy. I hadn't thought it was a particularly hot summer this year but I may have been wrong about the warmth of this year.
Steven
HB is almost finnished here ,as you say, it seems to have exhausted it'self as we haven't had owt like a proper frost and the touch we had didn't damage any plants let alone balsam :)
VM

I saw some Himalayan Balsam still in flower along the river in Newtown (Powys) today. Not very much of it though.

Most of the HB disappeared maybe 2 weeks ago and I agree it's usually around till the first frosts. The hedgerows and trees are heaving with Ivy, more than I ever recall. The smell/scent/stink is overpowering on a still sunny day.
I've watched the bees piling in the pollen and nectar into already full boxes. Heaven knows where they are putting it all.

It is about two weeks since any HB came in. Ivy coming in now but on a walk yesterday there are still a lot of ivy flowers still only in bud so we should have that for a while longer. It was warm yesterday and there was a load a activity still. They still have room for syrup as well.

I had a good look around yesterday here and the Ivy was almost finished the HB was on its last legs and most of it had popped all of its seeds. I had a field of mustard close by which looks like its on it way out too. But the bees are still loaded down with yellow and orange polin

some of mine are building comb in the roof dont know wether to put another box on but have no more pulled comb left ?

Hi Countryman, at this time of year I put a piece of mesh over the feeding holes held down with drawing pins, these get a bit propolised but not totally and keeps them out of the lid, if you have plenty of room to store in the hive you wont need a super on. The bees don't make much comb at this time of year and will not draw out foundation to the extent of filling with stores. Even a piece of wood over the hole will stop them as well. Steven

Would it not be a good idea to put a hefty chunk of insulation over your crown boards?

OMF and top insulation go as a partnership.

PH

some of mine are building comb in the roof dont know wether to put another box on but have no more pulled comb left ?

What are they doing up there? If you have holes in the crownboard, get them closed off, or the poor things are trying to contend with a cold through-draught.

Back