I've got a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
currently 5 hives & 3 nucs
hi,
I'm new....been watching and learning for the last year....today a swarm has arrived in my bait box in my apple tree. Advice please on how long to leave it in there before I tansfer it to my hive which is ready and waiting. They are all very excited at the moment. In the bait box they have two old comb, and five frames with brand new foundation. That's it. I'm thinking leave them for 2 or 3 days to draw comb and get some stores in.....
If I transfer them to the hive and move it to my planned apiary about six yards away, (yard by yard, day by day) and then put the bait box back in the apple tree ready to catch another swarm, will this swarm just go back to the bait box ?
I'd appreciate your advice

So if you catch a swarm the 3foot rule does not apply? And how long before it does.

Some would put a QE between the floor and brood box to keep the queen in the hive Incase they try to swarm again.

You should not leave it in for more than a few days though as it could be a virgin Queen that needs to mate.

So if you catch a swarm the 3foot rule does not apply? And how long before it does.

the three foot rule applies when the bees have built combe and are filling it with nectar,pollen and eggs. at that point they regard that position as home.

Thanks alot, will remember that if I hopefully catch a swarm.

Some would put a QE between the floor and brood box to keep the queen in the hive Incase they try to swarm again.

As someone who lost a swarm... caught it, lost it, caught it, and lost it again yesterday... I can vouch for this, wholeheartedly!

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing! :mad:

if three foot rule applied to swarms they'd be easy to catch as they'd come after swarming!!!!

the bees who leave with the queen are middle aged NOT experienced flying memory bees - think about how taranoff AS works.

we did exactly the same, caught a good swarm on Thurs pm, was in the hive yesterday, gone today, have learnt from my mistake, will now put QX under brood box for a while.

A swarm effectively has had a "mind wipe" and has no memory of the old location, or if they do they are more than happy to forget it.

You can hive a swarm next door to it's old stance and it matters not a hoot.

The 3ft and 3 mile rule is in this one instance ignorable.

PH

You should not leave it in for more than a few days though as it could be a virgin Queen that needs to mate.

If you see pollen going in two days after catching and hiving a swarm can you presume you have a mated queen and she is laying?
When could you have a look?

Thank you all.....I shall go out at dusk, and hive them, with a QE under the brood box (for a couple of days)
What a great site this is!

I can't believe it.....I went out to hive them at 8pm and they'd all gone! I'm SO disappointed. They were going to be my first hive.
Should I have hived them straight away, and not waited until dusk?

Back