It's begun...........!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like the poly Nucs. They are robust - scrub out ok - but for a small colony they give the extra warmth - and not expensive. Big bonus.
Main hives - cedar :cheers2:

Although I am a fan of timber and love its properties its look and feel I have to concede that polystyrene wins on insulation hands down and as my home is 70% insulated with the stuff I keep warm all winter and reasonably cool all summer.
So if it is on the insulation properties of a hive that is the most important to you then you have to look at polly hives even though it hurts to say this.

So who can point me in the direction of a National poly hive or nuc box please.....so I can trial one of the frame size that I prefer to use?

I'm eagerly awaiting the new Stradivarius in puke purple placcy!
whistling.gif

item 280512530270

Still no bids... !
:leaving:

It's an interesting exercise to compare the commercially available small hive beetle traps with parts of the Beehaus.

The Navy used to sail in ships made of wood

Progress has benefits sometimes

Nothing that a dash of silicone cannot cure, along with those plastic edging strips, possibly. The thing is, as you indicating, being sold as satisfactory for beekeeping, while actually needing several modifications. My list already includes that and quite a few more. Mine will be OK, when all the mods are completed, I think!!

And don't they charge a packet, for just a small strip of black correx!

Regards, RAB

steve1958

But they didn't actually change to plastic did they? Well, not for Frigates, etc. They adopted metal and it worked well until an exocet set an aluminium one on fire (sadly, HMS Sheffield in the Falklands war).

Not suggesting we try cast iron hives btw!

Regards, RAB

steve1958

But they didn't actually change to plastic did they? Well, not for Frigates, etc. They adopted metal and it worked well until an exocet set an aluminium one on fire (sadly, HMS Sheffield in the Falklands war).

Regards, RAB

nope we didn't change to plastic ships but I do belive that the hull of a RIB is composite :)

the Sheffield was a hugely important lesson in the way fires are fought onboard with regard to boundary cooling etc.

Aircraft are being manufactured with increasing amounts of composite material, for example the Merlin has a huge amount of carbon/glassfibre structure.

who was it that found out how easy it is to sink a carbon fibre speedboat by putting it in front of a Japanese whaling ship? it wasn't Greepeace was it?

steve1958

Regards, RAB
A magnesium aluminium alloy (Dural') I believe, the same as the metal of a lot of fighters; stronger than straight aluminium. Burns rather well.

Wowser! £445 I wonder whether the bees to stock are still in the deal if unused? Still £445!

Just spotted this, similar construction and self powered for movement to the heather, slightly cheaper. Holds more frames.

RELIANT ROBIN Clubman L 3dr Estate £395 1998 (R reg),
80,000 miles, Manual, 0.8L, Petrol

Too easy, it's the second one with the well drerssed lady.

Pity they parked it in Liverpool and got the wheels nicked though.

Ahhhh!, so that's why the scrap value of Reliant Robins has increased recently - they're being bought up for recycling!!

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back