Issac Hopkins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take note of what the "big boys" do.

They graft.

Now it seems to me there must be a good reason for that.

PH

We use Hopkins method once we have grafted a dozen or so larvae from it.
Had an occurrence last season with a Hopking board, when a frame of foundation split and drooped into the space below the board, 10 queen cells raised along the split... Hopkins/ Millar method!
Interesting point that no more than 12 queen cells are selected per queen raising colony.
Thanks for this... I got the idea from David Woodward another Kiwi breeder.

Yeghes da

.Queen rearing is not so difficult that you need something special in it.

I will use next summer Miller method. It is nice. And I will rear them in swarming fever colony.

Last summer I grafted larvae into cell cups, but I got best harvest from Miller frame in same hive. 20 queens all together from one brood box.

To me this is a complex system. I do not need that much queens. Sureley queen sellers know what they do.

harding_lid_top.jpg

Last edited:
Had an occurrence last season with a Hopking board, when a frame of foundation split and drooped into the space below the board, 10 queen cells raised along the split... Hopkins/ Millar method!
Interesting point that no more than 12 queen cells are selected per queen raising colony.

Yeghes da

can you expand on this post a little ....

** I thought the idea of the Hopkins method was to eliminate grafting altogether

** Hopkins / Millar method ?

** I got the idea from David Woodward ... any more information on that ?

ta

can you expand on this post a little ....

** I thought the idea of the Hopkins method was to eliminate grafting altogether

** Hopkins / Millar method ?

** I got the idea from David Woodward ... any more information on that ?

ta

Yeghes da

My interpretation is that he is originally using a frame to graft from, then uses that frame minus some larvae which have been grafted for its next purpose as the Hopkins method, getting a second use out of it.

My interpretation is that he is originally using a frame to graft from, then uses that frame minus some larvae which have been grafted for its next purpose as the Hopkins method, getting a second use out of it.

Would also imagine the same as above, LADAOK

Now I see, that method Hopkins and now died Hopkins are different persons.

Last edited:

mmmm. wellI consider the reply confusing, it's bordering on what us simple kiwi's call DD or DF double dutch or double finnish hahaha ... i'm hoping Ian comes back with answers to the other questions

mmmm. wellI consider the reply confusing, it's bordering on what us simple kiwi's call DD or DF double dutch or double finnish hahaha ... i'm hoping Ian comes back with answers to the other questions

Queen rearing is simple. Trust to yourself.

Glad to see not much has changed since 1886 ;)

Dan ... you do not post much on here.... but when you do....
classic!

Yes we graft from frame about 6 to 10 larvae into one cell starter / finisher using Cloake board...
and put the frame into a Hopkins board on top of a queenright colony.
Have had some good results with the Cornish native dark bees using this system.

For Italians that are easypeesey to breed... use Nicot or simply graft.

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back