Isolation starvation avoidance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isolation starvation .. which way round do you put your frames warm or cold ?

Doing the measurements I have two temperature point front and back at each height.

There is almost no difference in still air. any difference dissapears in to the measurement errors.

A thing that should not be forgotten is making sure your hives (of whatever construction) are well sheltered from wind and rain.

isolation starvation .. which way round do you put your frames warm or cold ?

Nige - the names don't actually mean anything is warmer or colder.

The orientation of the frames should be determined by where you want to be standing to do the inspection. You only get this choice with square hives, so make the most of it!

:iagree:

In both my apiaries, the alignment is purely to assist me in inspections.

Doing it 'sideways', I found, was detrimental to my inspection. Having changed one hive, I notice no difference in the colony.

Or does someone with experience know differently?

Dusty

The orientation of the frames should be determined by where you want to be standing to do the inspection. You only get this choice with square hives, so make the most of it!

i only asked because the book i am reading atm says it happens more often in national hives with the cold orientation than with the warm. something about the way the bees slightly change the layout on the frame, maybe it's just hogwash but i had to ask the question.
more hive types run the cold orientation than warm as was pointed out in another reply.
but if you don't ask you don't know :)

i only asked because the book i am reading atm says it happens more often in national hives with the cold orientation than with the warm. something about the way the bees slightly change the layout on the frame, maybe it's just hogwash but i had to ask the question.
more hive types run the cold orientation than warm as was pointed out in another reply.
but if you don't ask you don't know :)

That is hogwash! :)

You are absolutely right to question oddities - even when printed.
Most authors have some quirky prejudices. The trick is to spot them!

Isolation would happen more in wooden hives than polys - because the bees being warmer in poly are more mobile (and use less stores anyway).
But I doubt you'd find that in any book. Yet.

The orientation of the frames should be determined by where you want to be standing to do the inspection. !

More important is to carry heavy boxes. Ergonomy. You may inspect hives, are the frames that way or that way.

just doing as you lot told me too.
read books
do a beginners course
join an association (not done that yet)
ask questions
get bees (soon )

That i have found to be a myth.

stand on Crib Goch in the full wind and rain and time how long it takes you to get hypothermia. then time it just below the ridge.

then tell me forced convection and the latent heat of evaporation is a myth.

however, if your bees could be in such a high heat loss environment that the diffences are no longer discernable because the interior skin of the hive is very close to the outside temperature then I suggest you have other problems to solve.

if you are arguing in this and other posts that it makes no difference how conductive the hive is and how exposed it is to the elements and you truly believe this then I must give you up as a lost cause as I regret to to inform you that bees obey the laws of heat flow and thermodynamics and research has shown these thing do affect bees.

just doing as you lot told me too.
read books
do a beginners course
join an association (not done that yet)
ask questions
get bees (soon )

Get yourself along to a few meetings, while the season lasts.
Joining isn't as important as visiting.
Get to meet some bees while they are busy and hives can be opened.
All too soon, the bees will be put away for the winter.
Get among them while you can.

Don't expect to understand or learn much about what is happening.
The thing is to get the feel of thousands of insects - before you find yourself buying hives and all manner of stuff.

I must give you up as a lost cause as I regret to to inform you that bees obey the laws of heat flow and thermodynamics and research has shown these thing do affect bees.

Fifteen years ago i moved around 30 hives to a location two flat fields away from the seashore, entrances facing into the prevailing westerly wind and rain, and this certainly is a windy location, job to even stand up straight against the wid some days...this was only supposed to be a temporary pit-stop for these hives at the time, after being brought down from the heather, but the hives were left there to over winter in the end, and they did this extremely well, so well in fact there have been very few losses (less than some of the lovely sheltered apairys i have, ones i would even think of as bee heaven)and this is one of my best apairy sites, fast build up in spring and one of the most productive along with another site half way up a steep hill...again very exposed and about half a mile from the sea and nothing in between, plus a bitterly cold wind during winter.

Fifteen years ago i moved around 30 hives to a location two flat fields away from the seashore, entrances facing into the prevailing westerly wind and rain, and this certainly is a windy location, job to even stand up straight against the wid some days...this was only supposed to be a temporary pit-stop for these hives at the time, after being brought down from the heather, but the hives were left there to over winter in the end, and they did this extremely well, so well in fact there have been very few losses (less than some of the lovely sheltered apairys i have, ones i would even think of as bee heaven)and this is one of my best apairy sites, fast build up in spring and one of the most productive along with another site half way up a steep hill...again very exposed and about half a mile from the sea and nothing in between, plus a bitterly cold wind during winter.

try giving half some shelter in the same location and then compare. you cant validly compare location to location as forage etc will differ

isn't lack of ventilation just as bad if not worse than too much ?

That's a whole can of worms! ;)

In short, a swarm's preferred location is a cavity of around 40 litres (Tom Seeley), with a single entrance of about 2.5mm (<< ?? I think) diameter - no other ventilation. Bees need to maintain a temperature of around 35C.

We put them in a box with a vented floor, with an entrance usually larger than they'd choose for themselves. Some people like to prop open the hive's roof during the coldest part of the year. In a human house they'd be called irresponsible.

That's a whole can of worms! ;)

In short, a swarm's preferred location is a cavity of around 40 litres (Tom Seeley), with a single entrance of about 2.5mm (<< ?? I think) diameter - no other ventilation. Bees need to maintain a temperature of around 35C.

We put them in a box with a vented floor, with an entrance usually larger than they'd choose for themselves. Some people like to prop open the hive's roof during the coldest part of the year. In a human house they'd be called irresponsible.

i do like cans of worms :) they make the best conversations normally as long as people dont get too emotional .

condensation is a pain in poorly ventilated houses even for humans

Latest posts

Back