Is this brood and a half?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One with bees 2 ready for bees!
I have been given another hive of bees by a retiring beekeeper unable to cope with them.
I left them to settle in my apiary but noticed yesterday there is no queen excluder between the brood box and super. Not sure if this was accidental or is it a brood and a half set up? When I do a full inspection what should I look for? Should I continue with the same set up, add a super for honey or is it too late now?

The beekeeper may not have chosen to use queen excluders. I generally don’t. The bees determine where the queen lays. She is limited by the honey arch above her. I add supers for honey as required, underneath the one that is filling up. By the end of the season the queen is in one of the two brood boxes provided and the supers contain honey only. My bees seem to prefer this layout.

Hi Simon Yes brood and a half is bb then super, it’s a pain imo but common!
As to what you do on inspection, that’s down to what you find! The boxes may be bursting with bees or nothing.
Did you ask if he treated last year?.. look for signs of dwv.
If he’s not been in the hive for some time frames may be weak and stuck together, be prepared for some strategic application of leverage😉
I’d have some spare frames handy and at the least a spare super just in case. If they are short on space for storage or laying you could remedy at least temporarily.
You hopefully will need more kit it’s not late for honey and in my area the main flow will soon start weather permitting😂

was accidental or is it a brood and a half set up?
Might be both, but treat them as boxes rather than designated areas. If the colony is strong you may wish to give more brood space by adding another BB.

Take off the super, put into the middle of the new BB a few frames of open brood from the bottom BB, centre the brood frames in the bottom box, add frames of foundation to the flanks of both boxes and re-assemble. If you didn't see the queen, shake all the super bees into the BB, put on a QX and then the super. If that super is full, add another under it.

You may not want to use a QX (or have one). Don't worry, just add the boxes as above and by late summer the supers will be full of honey and empty of brood.

When I do a full inspection what should I look for?
Five basics:
Status 2: queen cells? have plan & kit to act; if in doubt, nuc the queen
Disease: Check advanced open brood for unusual larvae
Space: room to lay & room to store; if in doubt, add more
Stores: 2 x DN4 frames of honey or equivalent is enough to last another week

Should I continue with the same set up, add a super for honey or is it too late now?
This tells me that you're not quite in sync with the three elements of beekeeping: basic life cycle & biology, equipment and how to use it, and the environment which determines the trajectory of the first two.

Set-up will be determined by the colony size: how many frames of brood are there, and are the current boxes rammed? As colonies are still expanding, another box may be appropriate.

The spring flow is slowing down south but still lively, and you must train yourself to observe which nectar & pollen plants are in flower in your area, and whether the weather is working in their favour.

Most current relevant factor is that the main nectar flow is yet to start - lime, blackberry, sweet chestnut, borage, ivy - and the bees produced so far will provide your workforce on the main flow.

Have you a copy of this book?

Thanks for your comments. I don't have a spare brood box but have supers and frames so will take some with me when I inspect.
I will ask what has been done with the bees so far, I suspect not too much as he has poor health.
I do have a Haynes bee manual and do use it regularly as it's an easy read.

The beekeeper may not have chosen to use queen excluders. I generally don’t. The bees determine where the queen lays. She is limited by the honey arch above her. I add supers for honey as required, underneath the one that is filling up. By the end of the season the queen is in one of the two brood boxes provided and the supers contain honey only. My bees seem to prefer this layout.

What do you do to prepare them for winter?

What do you do to prepare them for winter?
Last year I removed the supers and treated for varroa via OA vape. The queens by this point were in the upper brood boxes. One colony filled the equivalent of a brood box with ivy. I didn’t feed them and other than hefting, didn’t do anything else. The other had extra space so I dummied down using blocks of PIR, they went through winter 9 over 9.

no, had heather in well brooded frames before, just as difficult to get out
I was thinking more from the perspective that if the frames have more structural integrity due to the cocoons, meaning they could be spun faster, would that overcome the thixotropy. So still hard, just more force involved.

I was thinking more from the perspective that if the frames have more structural integrity due to the cocoons, meaning they could be spun faster, would that overcome the thixotropy. So still hard, just more force involved.
tried it, both radially and tangentially. makes no difference

Shame but thanks for sharing, saves me wasting my time. Might try the humble bee thing this year although planning to make my own as looks like its just a pair of screed rollers attached to a box.

Genius thought.......thank-you.....a home-made device is being devised and researched just now.

Latest posts

Back