Is this another doomed hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Salamagundy,
You are doing just fine and have gone through the tricky, action packed 2nd year beekeeping test. Then when you think it's all over - here we go again. It's been quite a year for many experienced beekeepers too - let's hear it from them and not about the honey! It is admirable to worry about our charges' well being and beekeeping does not come cheap! Some of the humour on this forum is called sarcasm, but most of it is well meant. Sounds like you are ready to put yours to bed whilst it would appear I have a week or two to go. Glorious sunshine here now after a chilly night, but up to 20 C forecast for Tuesday I will never get mine to bed!

We all worry about the condition of our bees going into winter, stores etc, I have one hive that isn't taking down enough syrup, so I will keep hefting and hope for the best and start to add candy sooner than later and treat them as an overwinting nuc. But that aside, you need to now stop opening up and leave them to it. You have done your best for the time being. The next time you should open up is to treat with OxAcid in mid winter. Good luck.
Steven

Thanks, BeeNice. I'll be very pleased if all hives make it through to Marchbee-smillie.

What is the objection to Thymol and syrup at the same time? All I have seen is that it "encourages robbing", meaning the bees look for any other hive that might not have Thymol in it I guess?

This is more than an idle question. I have a friend who, for understandable personal reasons, has not started either yet and needs help. I'm thinking that, at this stage, feeding takes priority, but why not do at least one round of Thymol over the next 2 weeks, if it stays as warm as it is?

David

What is the objection to Thymol and syrup at the same time? All I have seen is that it "encourages robbing", meaning the bees look for any other hive that might not have Thymol in it I guess?

This is more than an idle question. I have a friend who, for understandable personal reasons, has not started either yet and needs help. I'm thinking that, at this stage, feeding takes priority, but why not do at least one round of Thymol over the next 2 weeks, if it stays as warm as it is?

David

Can't remember a reason being given for not combining the two. I think it was more a case of 'get the Apiguard on while the temperature is still likely to be high enough for it have maximum effect.' I was late taking the honey off this year and my mentor thought it was ok to combine feeding and varroa treatment. The bees seemed quite happy to walk over the apiguard tray to get to the thymolated syrup.... Didn't notice any robbing.

Not experienced enough to venture an opinion on what's best for your friend to do at this stage but hope one of the 'luminaries' will be along soon to give advice and that things go well.

Back