Is this a joke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The total incompentence of the beekeeper and then posting it on youtube for novice beekeepers to see for a start.

Jenkins please watch the rest of it you will not believe what your seeing.A friend asked me about the flow hive and I said I would check out and see if I could find a video about it.

I'm getting through a fair bit of it, but I can't see yet where he is feeding fondant with a super on.......

I'm getting through a fair bit of it, but I can't see yet where he is feeding fondant with a super on.......

when he takes the roof off - inverted plastic carton over feeder hole, now empty but the only purpose I have seen for that setup is for feeding fondant

It's not a great advert for the flow hive. I've watched a fair bit of it now and mostly what it demonstrates is that the original concept of the flow hive (and as it was advertised in their marketing videos) is far from the truth ...

For all the faffing about Phil Chandler had to do (and the inevitable pissed off bees) it's more trouble than it's worth.

I can see where he's coming from .. he's not a fan of taking a lot of honey off the bees so a couple of frames is probably all he wants and the rest he's giving back to the bees .. but it's obvious that he doesn't have kit that matches the size of the flow hive .. he's going to have gaps everywhere the way he has it set up and it will be interesting to see if nadiring the flow hive frames beneath his brood box and a half works .. it might .. but it rather defeats the object of the contraption in the first place.

The fact that it's all gummed up with propolis, it's a beggar to separate the frames, the bees are in danger of being rolled - perhaps are being rolled - and presumably in a normal flow hive extraction bees are going to get crushed ?

Doesn't really fulfill it's original promise IMHO.

Lost interest quite quickly and can't see any sort of joke in the little that I watched -- not that I know anything about flow hives at all. One thing that did come to mind though is that if the honey is taken from the flow hive from inside the cells doesn't that leave the cappings in place over empty cells thereby leading to a hive that the bees think is full of honey but leaves them no stores at all. Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't really see the point of these hives at all.

His flow hive is incomplete and the bees are getting through the queen excluder and running around the area where it is supposed to be safe to extract. There should be a bar that covers the area preventing the bees access.

His flow hive is incomplete and the bees are getting through the queen excluder and running around the area where it is supposed to be safe to extract. There should be a bar that covers the area preventing the bees access.

Absolutely right. Bees should not be coming out of there...

Also empty container up top doesn’t mean he’s feeding fondant with supers on. Might be kept on top year round.

The hives crap the bees are feral And the videos kinda what I expect from him. Lol

Absolutely right. Bees should not be coming out of there...

Also empty container up top doesn’t mean he’s feeding fondant with supers on. Might be kept on top year round.

If that was the case it would be jam packed with brace comb

i cant see flow hives working very well or at least for very long

everything would have to be perfectly clean and all the mechanism propolis and wax free etc to work properly as well as the honey needing to be sufficiently fluid etc

all a bit odd in my view

It does all seem a bit of a faff on to me. There are enough hive types and methods around as it is for beginners and this just seems to be over complicating things but each to their own.

I will stick to nationals and try to learn what I can about those before trying something else.

The bees did seem a little lively though and he didn't seem the most gentle person I've seen handling bees.

Maybe when he said "ouch, one stung me through my shirt" when he didn't have any protection did make me smile though.

I fast-forwarded to near the end and it looked like it was being put back together with an extra box that was too large to fit on, leaving a nice gap for robbing bees and wasps.

Latest posts

Back