Is the empress tree good forage for bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Paulownia tomentosa is the Latin name. It is fast growing, hardy and very attractive when covered in flowers, and it does produce loads of them.

It won't be difficult to convince people to plant these trees as once the flowers die off, it is also attractive with its vast leaves. And producing few large leaves it is also easier to clean up after it in autumn.

If it's good forage for bees it could be a good plant to push on friends and neighbours for urban beekeepers.

That's pretty much what I'm asking...
I haven't found much info on this plant in this sense.

Yes, I'd found that page, but the other trees have no mention of attracting honey bees, and I know that some do, so the fact that it mentions bumblebees in particular is no indication that honey bees can't work that tree.

I'm trying to work out whether it attracts honeybees. Blooms in April when willow and dandelion are out. Looks like a foxglove which I never see honeybee on so likely not.

If that's the case it's a pity. It would be easy to get plenty of forage in a short time, apparently they grow so quickly that you can almost see them grow!

Hmmm... then again, with a clear mind after a good night's sleep I was able to find this:
https://www.habitataid.co.uk/shop/trees-hedges/trees-for-bees (third row, first item)

In the description it says the trees listed are good for honey bees, but it specifies that they included the empress tree for bumblebees. I wouldn't say it's conclusive, but with so many other trees out there I don't think it's worth trying any harder to see if it's good forage.

Hmmm... then again, with a clear mind after a good night's sleep I was able to find this:
https://www.habitataid.co.uk/shop/trees-hedges/trees-for-bees (third row, first item)

In the description it says the trees listed are good for honey bees, but it specifies that they included the empress tree for bumblebees. I wouldn't say it's conclusive, but with so many other trees out there I don't think it's worth trying any harder to see if it's good forage.

The petals of the flower form a long funnel.. which suggests short tongued bees would have difficulty extracting nectar. So probably little use for honey bees.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/pros-cons-paulownia-trees-22938.html

And apparently they can grow over 80ft tall.

Think I prefer Sycamore as an early flowering tree for the honey bees.

This bit worries me

Invasiveness

The Pulownia tomentosa tree is known to become invasive. The U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service lists the Paulownia tomentosa tree as a noxious weed. It is banned in Connecticut due to its potentially invasive nature. It is also listed as an exotic invasive pest plant in Tennessee. The tree spreads aggressively through abundant self-seeding.

This bit worries me

Invasiveness

The Pulownia tomentosa tree is known to become invasive. The U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service lists the Paulownia tomentosa tree as a noxious weed. It is banned in Connecticut due to its potentially invasive nature. It is also listed as an exotic invasive pest plant in Tennessee. The tree spreads aggressively through abundant self-seeding.

Yeah, I saw that later. There is a species of Paulownia that isn't invasive, but at this point I'd say it's become a moot point: doesn't look like it's much good for honey bees.
I'll probably look at wisteria, hawthorn and black locust instead.

We have a Russian Olive tree problem where I live. It is a invasive species and usually overwhelms the other tree species in our area.

What about black locust?

I mentioned above, but after reading a bit about it it seems that it could be considered invasive, since it's a fast grower and spreads easily.
Is it considered invasive? I remember it was part of the landscape in Italy where I grew up...

I like the fact that it lets more light through than the average tree, so you can plant shrubs directly under it, and that it is a nitrogen fixer, so it will fertilise said shrubs.

Where in Italy ?, go a lot so know it fairly well. Would like to check it out online also myself.

Tuscany in the province of Florence. Mugello in particular.
There is the Vangelisti honey merchant fairly nearby if it's any help.

I've grown Paulownias from seed - very easy to germinate. The tallest one is now about 2 metres, so too early for a bee verdict. I shouldn't think there'd be much of a problem with them self-seeding in the UK though, as any frost would put pay to the seedlings.

Latest posts

Back